Topic

Single digit temps Overnight in NY/Connecticut

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Single digit temps Overnight in NY/Connecticut

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

We did a 10 mile backpacking trip on the Appalachian trail from Metro North train station (Rt. 22) to 10 Mile Lean To for an overnighter in single digit temps. I left my hammock home for this trip and decided to give my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo a go. This is not a gear review video, just a short recording of our trip to add to my collection.

https://youtu.be/InrJqd5xkH0

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I just re-watched this video and now totally understand why you were sweating so much in 5-degree weather:  You were trying to keep up with our mutual friend Bob!  The hours I either followed that green Zpacks backpack or watched it disappear way ahead of me are too numerous to count.  The man is a machine!

We even celebrated his 60th birthday a couple of years ago on the West Rim Trail in PA, complete with a birthday cake (pulled from our nearby cars).

I didn’t pay enough attention to your video the first time I watched it to recognize him.  Too funny – it’s like playing “Six Degrees of Bob M” ;)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hahaha… You got it now Kev!!

I can hike a fairly long distance and at a reasonable pace, MOP (My Own Pace), and that man can HIKE!!!  Legit he moves elegantly and quickly, lol.  At first I was thinking.. “S h I t !!!! What happened to me??” I was about 6 or 7 weeks over Covid and thought it was that which slowed me down so much.. But then I caught on.. Bob is like a hybrid gazelle/mountain goat!!! Lol.

Hey, maybe one time we will cross paths in his dust??

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Eating Bob’s dust is one of the things I seem to do best!  That would be a lot of fun.  I think my favorite part about hiking with Bob (other than when he used to bring his dog Cyrus – one of the best trail dogs I’ve ever been around), are his stories over dinner and around the campfire.  He’s got some great ones!

I’m sure our paths will cross…My in-laws live near Bob (just off the Taconic) and I’ve gone out to breakfast with him a couple of times when I’ve been up there visiting him.  When we return to some state of normalcy I’ll catch up with him again.  It was good to realize that was him in the video and that he’s doing well.

Thanks again for posting the video.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools