Topic

Simple Water Measuring Device

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple Water Measuring Device

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I made this handy little laminated gadget for measuring water in my cook pot today. In the future I may play around with adding indents to the pot, but this was easy to make (I have a cheap laminator machine so I did it at home), accurate and weighs less than one gram. Not bad! Plus I think it’s easier to read than indents anyway, although it’s possible to lose it.

To make it, I used a kitchen scale and ruler to get super accurate depth measurements and then transferred to cardstock. I laminated it twice with 3mil laminate sheets. If I were to do it again I might just go to Office Max because they have 10mil laminate and it would be a bit stiffer. But this works pretty well as is.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Rather than scribing all the way around your pot, you could make just a short scribe mark

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I like the solution! But since I normally just boil water and don’t need accurate measurements, it wouldn’t fit my needs.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

I also only plan to boil water in this pot, at least for most trips. I’m just picky when it comes to water, particularly with rice-based meals. Especially since there’s really no good reason not to get it right, just that pots don’t come with markings.

I’ve thought about the scribing method but I don’t know if I want to mark up this pot just yet. I would prefer to make indents instead of scribing anyway.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You can scribe a spoon/spork/whatever as well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Good thought, Matthew.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Matthew, that’s a great idea! I feel like I should’ve thought of it myself, but sometimes you just have to put an idea out there for someone to come up with the obvious solution…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m glad y’all like it. I have to admit I read it somewhere once. I didn’t invent it. Actually I don’t use either… I’m all about eyeballing it and lately I’m going no cook or no cook plus tea.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Looks professional with rounded corners, nice and easy to read, I like it :-)

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Yes, that looks much easier to read than scribe marks on the pot.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’ve used a paint pen to mark 1/4, 1/2, and 1 cup measurements on the handle of my spoon.  The marks are a little thick, so precision is not exact.    The only problem is, I have to make sure I measure my water for my food into my tea mug, then dump it into my freezer bag, before making my tea in my mug.  If I forget and try to make my tea first, I’ve got nowhere to measure the water into.

The alternative is to measure cold water first, for just what you need, then heat it up.  Make the tea, then whatever is left is what is needed for the meal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools