Topic

Sierra, spring conditions for PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra, spring conditions for PCT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

Hello,

I’m thinking about doing the PCT next year, NOBO. The creek crossings in the Sierra scare me, as that seems to be the most common cause of death. I’ve read two conflicting accounts about when to enter the Sierra: early or around June 1 assuming a “typical” year (yes, I know that varies dramatically from year-to-year). One thing that I read was that the “melt” typically peaks in mid-May, and the rivers are raging and it’s super dangerous, but this dies does around June. I’ve also read that May is the best because the snow bridges are intact, if you don’t mind trudging through a lot of snow.

What does May really look like? Is it a giant slushfesh with super unstable snow conditions? Or is it super consolidated Sierra cement?

Or maybe I should just go SOBO. I understand the conditions in the PNW a bit better.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Last year May wasn’t too bad.  This year the while range is under deep snow.  There is no way to give you a meaningful answer to your question about 2020.  Or 2021.

Wait and see what next winter brings.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

What does “wasn’t too bad” mean? What does it look like in a heavy snow year? A medium snow year? A light snow year?

I’m mostly trying to figure out if May is a giant disaster in which everything is flooding, snow bridges are collapsing, and most of the trail is a giant deathtrap, which is pretty much what some people told me.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

More likely, you will encounter streams running dangerously high June and July this year.  Probably not the best year to go NOBO.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools