Topic

Sierra late September sleep system.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sierra late September sleep system.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christopher R
    BPL Member

@chrisr18

I’m planning to do a late September trip on the N. Lake/South Lake loop trail.  This will be my first Sierra trip.

I sleep warm. At home I am comfortable at 68 degrees with just boxer/briefs and a sheet.

My quilt choices are a Katabatic gear flex 30 with 1oz overfill or a Katabatic gear flex 22.  I’m guessing these are basically a 28 degree bag and a 22 degree bag.

I also have a combination of a sea 2 summit 10 degree liner at 8oz, a down hood, and down booties for my feet.

I’m really not sure what to bring.  I’m thinking maybe the 30 degree quilt, hood, and booties or just the 22 degree bag.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Just for added info I plan on taking a Durston xmid 1p or 2p tent, and an sea 2 summit ether light xt insulated sleeping pad.

I use my synthetic atcteryx atom lt as a pillow, stuffed in a zpacks pillow stuff sack.

A tangentially related question is should I also bring a fleece (Patagonia r1)

How cold is it likely to get late september?

matthew k

@matthewkphx

I’d bring the 22 and leave the half-pound liner at home. I might bring the hood but I wouldn’t bring the socks because my feet never get cold.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I can’t answer which system you should bring, but I will say that it is quite possible you will find temps down to 15 degrees F or even lower in late September…and that can include up to a foot of snow.

Will you get those conditions on your trip?  Ask me a week before you leave, and I’ll give you an answer!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+ 1 to what Paul said. I got snowed on once in the John Muir wilderness in the middle of Sept.  If you are travelling by car, I would bring both sleep systems and make the decision based on the last weather forecast you can get while connected to the internet.

I personally would probably bring a down sweater or light fleece no matter what.  Sounds like an awesome trip.

Given that we are in extreme drought in California and high fire danger, there  might be be an open flame/stove ban in the Wilderness Areas managed by the Inyo National Forest in August. So you might start planning meals accordingly.  Of course in case of emergency, for example it starts snowing and you cannot move by foot, it is allowable to start an emergency fire so bring sources of ignition.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Hit 15F plus 30mph winds/snow in late September of 2019. Had 30F comfort rated quilt and it took everything but the kitchen sink to keep warm that night.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Hopefully, the smoke season will be over by then.

McMick
    BPL Member

@mcmick

Ditto, Bring the warmest stuff and don’t forget your quilt rating is at least 10 degrees higher than sold.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!