Topic

Sierra Itinerary HELP! ASAP – Cathedral Lakes–>Yosemite Valley??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sierra Itinerary HELP! ASAP – Cathedral Lakes–>Yosemite Valley??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin M
    BPL Member

@ratprickjones

Hello new friends! My indecision has gotten the better of me.

I will be taking my best friend on his first backcountry camping experience. I have been lucky enough to land two permits, but I can’t decide which would be the ‘more magnificent’ option. My friend and I are physically prepared to do either trip…

While either trip would be magical, what would be more picturesque? I have a hunch that Duck Pass might be a more traditional high-sierra experience, with more dramatic crags and more isolation.

#1 Cathedral Lakes to Clouds Rest to Yosemite Valley, with some XC to Budd Lake / Nelson Lake / Echo Lake (how famous this section of the JMT is makes this a hard decision)

#2 Duck Pass to Ivy Bell Hotsprings to Lost Key Lakes, and then return home

I know, I’m spoiled, but I rarely have time to go out for this long and I want to make the most of it! Thanks!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You’ll go WOW! over the view at Clouds Rest and likely want to stay for hours to take in the view, coming from someone who after strenuous hikes, only spends a few minutes on passes or summits before moving on.

Duane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools