Topic

Sierra in May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra in May

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel C
    Spectator

@hermanblume

I’m an experienced thru-hiker (JMT 23 years ago), flying in from Europe, and want to take a few weeks to just wander in the Sierra back country starting May 1. Snow will likely be less this year, but I assume much of the high country will still be rather impassable? Limitations: need to use public trans. from San Francisco (bus/train/YARTS-which I think connects SEKI only from May 9) I’d appreciate 1. any suggestions on Yosemite vs. Sequoia or parts btw, which place would be best for this wander, 2. expected trail-snow elevations, ability/elevation to avoid mosquitos. Am hoping to get a permit by showing up and being flexible with precise start-date/trailhead.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Add the Golden Trout wilderness at the southern end of the Sierra to your list as well.

Suggest posting on the High Sierra Topix board.  That group focuses on the Sierra and you’ll likely get several early season suggestions.

Daniel C
    Spectator

@hermanblume

Thanks on both suggestions, Steve. Golden Trout sounds early-season perfect, but trailhead access by public transportation may be a challenge. I’ll look into it.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Current snow levels, after this last series of storms, will be down below 6,000 feet.  The challenge you face is connecting your public transport to those lower elevations.  You could consider a North Rim of Yosemite Valley trip…and hope for warm weather to melt out most of the snow.

Hetch-hetchy is another option, but there is no transport to the trailhead.  You might get lucky with your thumb there. There are also trails west of the main attractions of both Yosemite and SEKI, but again, tough to get transport to them.

We like hiking the closed fire-road during the spring, which lead to all sorts of nice locations that are mobbed by car campers later in the season, but you won’t be able to get a bus to any of those…

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

<p style=”text-align: left;”>For east side trailheads in the Sierra there is the Eastside Sierra Transit Authority bus (runs M-F) from Reno, which connects with Yarts, or south of Mammoth there is usually easy hitching (though May will be tougher than Jul/Aug).  The Lone Pine chamber used to (and might still) offer reasonably priced shuttles to Cottonwood/Horseshoe meadow for Golden Trout wilderness access.</p>

Daniel C
    Spectator

@hermanblume

Many thanks, Paul and Steve.

Paul, the mentioned fire road is near Hatch Hetchy?

Seems like YARTS to Yosemite Valley and try to string together North Rim and South Rim hikes, and/or maybe thumb-it to HH — all permit permitting. With the new 60/40 system I’d guess I have a decent chance of gettin in somewhere. I’ll call the ranger to confirm. Still considering your suggestions on Golden, either with some hitchhiking and maybe a long walk down a road in hopes of getting picked up, or the shuttle options from Lone Pine.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Forest service roads are outside Yosemite, in the Stanislaus National Forest

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools