Topic

Sierra High Route loop suggestions?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sierra High Route loop suggestions?!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gabrielle C
    BPL Member

@gecko2016

Hi all! I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a four-day loop, maybe from the HSR. I was thinking of either going out over Bishop pass and into Dusy and Palisade basin- does anyone have ideas/info for routes?

Thought about also going over Piute into Humphrey’s Basin, though that seemed a bit too short for four days, and less options for peaks to hike along the way:) Was trying to stay south of P Creek Pass/Bear Lakes Basin area as I’ve spent quite a bit of time in there and there’s so much to explore!! Any info is very much appreciated!!!

thank you,

Gabrielle

Ray Found
    BPL Member

@rayfound

What about partial HSR?

Head out of North lake, over Piute pass, pick up SHR between tomahawk and Lower Desolation, over carol col(aka puppet pass) into french canyon, down to royce falls, then trail it down canyon around pilot knob, come back up piute, but go off trail to paddlesack lake, follow countour to Golden trout lakes then up the spine that sticks out west of Muriel lake. From muriel back to pass there are unofficial use-trails that all generally go the rightish direction.

alternatively, from South lake: SHR from Dusy basin to Barrett and Palisade lakes, , then loop back via JMT to le Conte and up dusy back to south lake. I’m actually considering this for LD weekend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In over Piute Pass, over Snow Finger Col, traverse above Evolution Valley to use trail that leads into Darwin Canyon, out over Larmarck Col or Alpine Col. Either exit route takes you right back to your car. If you are moving fast enough to have an extra day, it would be easy to spend it either with a side day trip to Evolution Lake, in Darwin Canyon, or the lakes below Alpine Col.

Gabrielle C
    BPL Member

@gecko2016

Oh Tom and Ray, these are awesome ideas! I just sat and plotted them out, and came up with more.

What about either going Bishop pass to Dusy and Palisade basins, with the options of Columbine and Isosceles peaks, and either doing an in and out or if there’s time, back out the JMT?

Alternately, Piute Pass to packsaddle lake via golden trouts, then hugging south to Goethe lake hike Muriel peak Darwin canyon lakes and out Lamarck col to upper Lamarck.

What do you guys think of route finding for either of these areas? Wasn’t sure which would be easier or more difficult. Also wasn’t sure about Lamarck col, although I guess it looks straightforward enough to follow the drainage north to upper Lamarck?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“What about either going Bishop pass to Dusy and Palisade basins, with the options of Columbine and Isosceles peaks, and either doing an in and out or if there’s time, back out the JMT?”

That would make a fine trip, especially as an in-out. I’m not particularly keen on dropping down into LeConte Canyon, both for the regain of elevation required to get back up to Bishop Pass and because it is not, IMO, a particularly pleasant area. But that is strictly personal.

“Alternately, Piute Pass to packsaddle lake via golden trouts, then hugging south to Goethe lake hike Muriel peak Darwin canyon lakes and out Lamarck col to upper Lamarck.”

Another nice route, although it involves a lot of talus. Packsaddle Lake is quite pretty, and the off trail from there to Goethe Lake is pleasant. I don’t think it would be as high quality as the Dusy/Palisade out-back route, though.

“What do you guys think of route finding for either of these areas? Wasn’t sure which would be easier or more difficult. Also wasn’t sure about Lamarck col, although I guess it looks straightforward enough to follow the drainage north to upper Lamarck?”

The route finding through Palisade Basin is pretty straightforward until you get to Cirque Pass, where the descent to Palisade Lakes can be tricky. There are several ways to get down, some easier than others. Getting back over Lamarck is straightforward. Just follow the lake chain up to the tarn just above the last large lake and head NNE up to the col over sandy benches and rock outcroppings. You will see lots of footprints and the occasional cairn to keep you on route. Once over the col, there is a use trail all the way back to Upper Lamarck Lake and a maintained trail on down to North Lake TH. The only obstacle I have found tedious is the talus crossing about midway along the uppermost lake. It is a jumble of very large talus blocks that a little guy like myself finds challenging at times. Still, it is not insurmountable.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“Alternately, Piute Pass to packsaddle lake via golden trouts, then hugging south to Goethe lake hike Muriel peak Darwin canyon lakes and out Lamarck col to upper Lamarck.”

Just beware that the talus around Goethe lake is some of the worst in the Sierra. If you happen to not pick a good line, you’ll be there forever….

Don’t ask how I know.

Ray Found
    BPL Member

@rayfound

Talus around upper Goethe is annoying for sure. Lower isn’t as bad.

Gabrielle C
    BPL Member

@gecko2016

Ray, Pedestrian, Tom- you guys are awesome. I’ve been indecisive about choosing a route for this trip as I’m taking one of my friends who just moved out from the east coast – while she’s hiked the AP she’s never been to the Sierras before, so I was trying to find something that would be a good intro for her, and a new place for me:)

Given the input here, maybe we’d be best off heading north from Paiute pass into Humphrey’s basin/Pilot Knobb, then see how fast we go and work our way south to Lamarck col, with the option to head west to Packsaddle if there’s time. The talus around Goethe sounds like maybe not best intro if avoidable (thx for the heads up). Are there any other trouble spots around these areas that come to mind, or recommendations on areas we should avoid? Keyhole pass should be okay for a first timer, yes? I’ll check in again before we leave on Sat:)

Best,

Gabrielle

PS Tom thank you so much for the detailed info re Lamarck col- I’ll be glad to have it when the time comes!

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Keyhole pass should be okay for a first timer, yes? I’ll check in again before we leave on Sat:)”

I’ve not been over either, but I have seen the approaches to both close up, and Alpine Col is by far the easier of the two in that regard. Also, Alpine col is rated at Class 2, whereas Keyhole is rated Class 3, probably not the best introduction for a Sierra beginner. If you do decide to enter Darwin Canyon from Goethe Lake, I’d recommend Alpine Col. Another thing to take into consideration is that there is a lot of talus around the lakes on the other side of either Alpine of Keyhole Cols. I talked with a fellow 2 years ago over in Darwin Canyon who was headed out that way, and had done it several times previously. He said the talus is extensive on the southern approach to either col. If you are going to Pilot Knob, it would make sense to keep on going down to the JMT and then head south thru Evolution Valley until you pick up the way trail up into Darwin Canyon, just north of Evolution Lake. That would make a very nice introduction to the Sierra for your friend, and take you through some new territory as well.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip and am looking forward to hearing how it went!

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

2 cents here

I’ve done both Lamark and Alpine Col..  I think that, aside from the giant boulders climbing up, Larmark is the choice; i.e. the trip down, out of Alpine, requires some picking and choosing of you route… the trip up Earmark just requires some work.. to , necessarily, any ” expertise”.

Gabrielle C
    BPL Member

@gecko2016

Hey Tom, Ray, Pedestrian, and Scott!

Got back last Thursday night and had a lovely trip. We ended up going out over Paiute Pass to run up Pilot Knob, then looped around and crossed back south to Mt. Muriel/Muriel Lake. The day we were going to hike Muriel it rained a bit, but other than that it was lovely! So glad for all the great input on here- and definitely eyed the talus around Goethe – glad we didn’t go that way!! Would’ve been a bit of a muck and taken way longer. Next trip I’d love to run up Muriel and go into Darwin basin area, maybe later in the season when it’s not so crowded. The ranger said she counted 130 people in one day two weeks ago when she went out to check permits in the area -Pretty much my worst nightmare:) But northward towards the bear lakes wasn’t bad.

Any of you guys have trips planned soon?

cheers,

Gabrielle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools