Topic

Sierra Designs Sweet Suite 3 or ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Sweet Suite 3 or ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

I am looking to move to a 3p lightweight tent and I am really considering the sweet suite 3 but I can not seem to find any reviews on it.  I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some feedback.  The other tents I am considering are the Nemo dagger 3, the big agnes copper spur ul3 and the black diamond vista ( although it weighs more than I would like)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

Anything is better than Sierra Designs?

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

HM I see there is going to be a copper spur platinum ul3

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

What is your use case?

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

I want something light enough for extended backpacking but something that will still sleep two 6 ft tall guys for 3 days.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

I’d look at the TarpTent SS2. It’s quite big for a 2 person tent and sleeps 2-3. It uses trekking poles which saves weight if you carry them. Still lighter than the others you mentioned if you carry dedicated support poles instead.

https://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

I honestly thought about trying something from hyperlite mountain gear but I don’t use trekking poles and I honestly don’t see the benefit of buying them just to use for the tent.  When you factor in the weight of the poles it does not seem lighter than the other options.  Also I have heard that the fabric sounds like a potato chip bag.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

TarpTents are made with silnylon which is smooth and stretchy. The downside is you need to seam seal them.

With the optional poles the SS2 is 3.4 lbs. still lighter than your other tents listed but not by as much.  The Cloudburst would be lighter but not a true double wall.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Dan,

I strongly suggest your try using trekking poles. GOOGLE “using pole straps for XC skiing”  to get proper hand placement for the most efficient use of the poles. Pole straps are crucial for best use, especially on downhills.

Use of hiking poles when you are “young” (20 – 40) saves your knees for 50+ hiking in your golden years.

COSTCO had some great deals on carbon fiber poles. Not top quality but they’ve served em well for the past 2 years. I like the rubber tip caps to keep them from slipping on rocks.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Although I LOVE my SD Flash 2 FL (the only TRULY livable 2-person tent for 2 actual people I’ve ever spent time in…great for places where you could be stuck in there for a looooong time), SD tents are on average a few inches shorter in length than most other tents, so I’ll warn you that two 6′ tall guys will *just* fit (taller than that, you’d want something else).  The genius of the Flash tent was the feeling of incredible roominess (because of the vertical walls, high peak height, and minimal front-to-back slant), allowing you to sit up, get dressed, etc. with plenty of elbow room. Oh, and the ease of the “awnings” for getting in/out, rather than vestibules. I wish there was a cuben version, LOL!

The Sweet Suite looks like a more “standard” Big Agnes type of shape, where the walls slope inward, giving you the feeling of being in a “tight space”.  You might also look at some Tarptent options, as well the popular Big Agnes tents (I hated them, but you may not).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Tarptent  Cloudburst 3 can easily take 2x long/wide mats and you can add a liner that covers the sides and top if in a particularly humid area.

It fits really well and allows you to still erect the shelter all in one .

52 oz in single wall mode, 58 oz with the added liner .(if you needed..)

Take a look :

https://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

The interior is bug proof once you zip up the mesh door panels.

franco@tarptent

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Cloudburst is an interesting tent. I can’t help but think that with a few modifications (third pole sleeve, more guypoints) it could be a real bomber lightweight tunnel tent that could take the place of a Hilleburg type tent.

As it is, it is still a roomy shelter and I think it would be as storm worthy as some of the lighter two/three person options from the major brands.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The argument for a sleeve for a middle pole is, to my mind, huge. You don’t have to carry the third pole, but doing so makes the tent many times more storm-worthy – and I really do mean many times. Sure matching guy anchors would be needed.

Cheers

Dan E
    Spectator

@thecombatnurse

I’m pretty sure the newer ones do indeed have the option to use a 3rd pole.  Single wall worries me for those rainy nights.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Just having the option is not necessarily the same as having a full-length fixed sleeve. The fixed sleeve is vital.
    Franco?

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wish Henry would make a Cloudburst 2 in the same design as the 3.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“I can’t help but think that with a few modifications (third pole sleeve, more guypoints) it could be a real bomber lightweight tunnel tent”
    There is an option for a 3rd pole and extra guylines :
    You can see both from this still taken from a video clip I made about it :

You don’t need to carry that extra pole if you don’t expect big winds or snow.

It isn’t designed as a 4th season tent but I would call it 3 season plus.

The extra pole is fitted from the inside but no there is no full sleeve for it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Perhaps I am wrong as I am certainly not a tunnel tent guru but I think it would be a lot stronger with a third pole sleeve.

I think with a few tweaks it could be a true 4 season tent.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

It could be close to a full 4-season tent, although the flat top is going to collect snow. That would have to be dealt with.

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I agree, it would be great if the Cloudburst middle pole had an external sleeve with a few tie-out points.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools