Topic

Shoulder season/low elevation winter bp'ing in PNW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shoulder season/low elevation winter bp'ing in PNW

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’m looking to extend my backpacking season, and improve my inclement weather skills backpacking in Washington state. I’m at the south end of the Olympic Peninsula.  Most of the places I can think to go are along rivers, often with the campsite at water level. Any tips from more experienced folks on avoiding flood conditions? Suggestions on locations would be great, too.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Winter_and_Spring_Backpacking

Toleak Point is a favorite in the winter.  Better to use the shortcut I described to Daryl in chaff.

Enchanted Valley is good.

Brett Cooper
    Spectator

@bcoop

Locale: Pacific Northwest

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Any of the River valleys in ONP, Duckabush and Dosewallips are great options “off Season” and usually have trailhead access. You can go as far as you want or not and still be able to bail if it’s a test trip. Enchanted valley is awesome as long as the road is open. All the campsites on the rivers are still 5 above water line. Flooding worry can be mitigated by watching the forecast, and going before the snow builds up and melts from higher elevations(in spring). A rainy overnight outside is better than staying home.</p>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools