Topic

Should we give up on getting a 7 day trek for 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Should we give up on getting a 7 day trek for 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Everson
    BPL Member

@mrevets

We are currently 80 for any 7 day trek in July for 2019 and 109 for June.  August timeframe 7 day treks are out of the bounds since all the dang sports/band/etc stuff starts up in August and the scouts HAVE to attend.  One issue that is driving parents away from the 12 day treks is the cost.  Almost $1000 in 2019.  The troop went in 2013 and it was high $700’s.  Couple that with airfare, sightseeing before philmont (if you in CO, you might as well see Pikes Peak, Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, etc)….  Thoughts from others that have been on the waiting list are appreciated.  I think Philmont should open more 7 day treks since it is now so expensive.  Thank you in advance.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

<p style=”text-align: left;”>We were on the waiting list for 6 years.  Parents wanted to go, but not willing to take 2 weeks off.  Several years of scouts aged out without even a chance.  I took the initiative and signed up for our troop, and later got a second crew slot the same week.  We have 6 adults/parents and an 18 year old signed up with 23 total.</p>
    Long way around to the answer, go for 12 or stay home.  YMMV.

Stephen Everson
    BPL Member

@mrevets

Bob – thank you for the reply – That has been my general feeling. Go for 12 or stay home.  When the troop went in 2013, we signed up for 12 and were in, first time ever applying to Philmont.  If one looks at all the slots available in 2018, one could decide to go to Philmont the day before, sign up and put down the big payment when you arrive.  I told the troop the chances were very slim on getting a spot since there are only 4 crew spots on Saturday and Sundy in June and July for 7 day treks.  My other point to the parents is the price is going to keep rising.  It is not going to get any cheaper.  Again, thank you very much for the reply.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I wouldn’t count on a 7 day trek opening. Either find a way to make a 12 day work or look at other places for backpacking trips for the troop. I wish I could give you good advice on that second part. Hopefully someone else here can do that. You can probably put together something cheaper.

Stephen Everson
    BPL Member

@mrevets

Well.. I talked to all the interested parties and decided to put in for a 12 day trek for 2019 – Friday – got our notice we were in.  Two crews headed to Philmont July 2-14 2019.  Now to get the deposit check to Philmont and begin the planning for the adventure – Troop went in 2013 so I have all my notes from the adventure – #1 – pack less.  #2. Pray for dry weather – I won’t be going on the trek – Lots of other adults want to go so rather than take up a spot, I’ll let them go.  I’ll go out with the troop, get them checked in, and then go explore the Southwest with my wife – which is what she did in 2013 while I was on the trek.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

No idea where you’re coming from but, our troop has always driven. And it’s about 1,200 miles one way.

Churches and other Scout organizations will give you a free place to sleep along the way. And you’re just renting a van for two weeks plus. Costs more affordable than flying. You’re in control of your travel. If you don’t want to go stop and see side attractions you don’t do it. And you got a place to leave all your stuff locked up at camp.  We typically went to Carlsbad Caverns on the way, Bandelier National Monument, etc.

Scott Walker
    BPL Member

@scottkingwalker

Congrats on getting a 12 day trek.  You won’t be sorry.

As an East-coaster, I can’t *imagine* going for a 7 day trek.  By the time we do airfare, and some activities for a number of days before the trek to get used to the elevation, we end up between $2200 and $2500 per person.  I can’t imagine shortening the “heart” of the trip to save a couple hundred.

If we were a lot closer, and the Philmont fee was a majority of the cost, then the math would be different.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools