Topic

Should I Get an Overstuffed Quilt or Wear More Insulated Clothing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Should I Get an Overstuffed Quilt or Wear More Insulated Clothing?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, it isn’t the warmth, so much. There is about a degree or two F difference between 850FP and 950FP. The weight and compressibility are the big differences. 850 will have about 10% more weight than 950FP. There will be roughly a 2oz difference between the two in 20F quilts. However, it is likely more when checking bags…
    If you are always in damp conditions, an 800FP quilt will be about 2F warmer than a 950FP quilt. For longevity, I would choose the 950FP due to the more flexible fibers packing better and more resilient when being slept on.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Just remember that the 950 rating was obtained by making the down bone-dry for the measurement. It will be nothing like that under any normal outdoor conditions. It is a gimmick promoted by the IDFL for their own benefit (our test gives you higher results than their test) , and the whole methodology is shunned by European companies. Spin reigns in America.

Cheers

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Roger – that’s super interesting, 950 just sounds so much better than 850. I really hate being scammed and appreciate when people shed light on issues like this, thanks!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, all down testing is flawed and skewed to produce beneficial results. As of a few years back, I was always taught 900 was a maximum fill power number on a scale to 1000, because everything weighs something. But, eliminating the weight of the feathers allows these unrealistic numbers to crop up. Hell, they can eliminate my weight, too, ha hey…

But as long as everyone is talking about down in the same context, it really doesn’t matter. In the field, I would be surprised 950FP lofted higher than 800FP or so. Dampness (humidity,) compression, plume damage, various material contaminates (sweat, dirt & debris, etc,) shell thickness and weight, and other factors all influence loft. 800FP or 950FP applies only as new items at the factory. But, all down is subject to the same “deloft” so it is still a valid comparison. 800FP down WILL be different from 950FP down unless someone cheats along the way.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Thanks All – I appreciate the advice on this topic.

I have decided to purchase the REI Magma Trail Quilt 30, 10.5 oz of 850 fill power, 56″ shoulder girth, 19 0z. weight, $299. I will supplement with down pants and puffy when needed because I will also use these around camp.

REI has a great return policy if I am making a mistake and need something warmer.

Thanks again, really helpful advice.

Lowell

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Lowell k – prolly won’t be unhappy with that quilt, but don’t forget head insulation. I like the modular approach there as well, mixing and matching cap 4 balaclava, fleece and cap 4 beanies as temperature warrants. Of course there is also your puffy’s hood if you choose to wear it. I like lots of options :)

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!