Topic

Should I get a boot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Should I get a boot?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

So, I recently rolled my ankle going downhill on a hike. In the past on backpacking trips, I’ve almost rolled the same ankle a couple of times but my hiking pole saved me.

I have my longest trip I’ve ever done this summer, the Wonderland Trail. I usually wear altra lone peak but this year I’ve went up to altra olympics.

I’m wondering if I should go up to some boots. I’d hate to get out there, roll an ankle, and have to quit the hike.

Alternatively, I have been going through some ankle mobility and strength training from the chase mountains YouTube channel. Can’t tell if it’s helping yet or not.

If I’ve had issues in the past, should I ditch the trail runners and get a boot? I’ve been looking at the Lowa Renegades or La Sportiva Raptors.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

I’ve worn Altra Lone Peaks for years and for years have had ankle issues.  There’s so much conflicting information out there about if boots truly do a better job of supporting the ankle. Much points to the fact that they don’t. I’m not so sure that for those of us that have chronic ankle issues that a shoe/boot with more ankle stability isn’t a good thing.

The last couple years my ankle rolls have gotten much worse and forced me off the trail two times.  I’ve been seeing a Physical Therapist for about 4 months now and really working on strengthening both my ankles and more importantly my core.  My PT is teaching me how important my knees, hips and overall balance are to preventing ankle rolls.   With all of that said, I moved to the Lone Peak Hiker for the ’23 hiking season and am really liking it so far.  It doesn’t have the rigidness of a stiff boot, but it does offer me more stability than the low top.  I tried on a million shoes and this one seems like the best match for my personal needs.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Thanks Adam! I think I should probably go see a PT. I have 4 months until my trip. I think I may go ahead and try some altra mids.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

another option is to look at something like this:

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/FOOT-SUPPORTS-BY-ACHILLOTRAIN-%26-MALLEOTRAIN/MalleoTrain-Ankle-Brace/p/YPBF_BAF_MALTRA?gclid=CjwKCAjw3ueiBhBmEiwA4BhspGxauNxiBhcgRyLQAwxsUY0_jnZ2BurrGkmOhoy_Lx

or even a lace up brace, that provides much more support. the advantage of the malleotrain is that it makes lacing your boots up more supportively possible. This is due to the padding the brace adds. You can really feel the difference. Still, it’s soft and you can still wear a less heavy boot.

I have a bizarre anatomy in my left foot and need something different from what most folks here are able to wear. I definitely like a midweight boot that comes up over my ankle.

Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

Do you have any lengthy stretches where you don’t hike over uneven terrain? Years ago I only rode a bicycle in the hot months and when I’d start again hiking the rocky, uneven terrain I’d have problems, one really turning an ankle pretty good. The synapse time for the brain to tell the ankle to stiffen up can become too lengthy to prevent the ankle turning. Your exercises should help with that. I’ve seen others who were helped.

And how long between replacing your shoes? EVA midsoles will deform so my feet roll slightly to the bow legged when someone views from behind and I’ve seen other do that very much. Like it or not I have to replace shoes every 400 miles.

After hiking year round and replacing shoes every time I turn around I’ve not had any more problems.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

What’s right for you will invariably be personal.  Boots/braces efficacy can’t be double blind tested and I’ve never seen compelling evidence to support the usual claims that they don’t help.

Let me give a counterpoint to the usual advice (mostly from those without chronic ankle issues).

I’ve had chronic serious ankle problems for decades since my teens, and boots and braces have been a must.

I tried months of intense physio, chiro, did all the proper stretching but would still have some sort of injury taking me out of action almost annually, for years.

I haven’t injured my ankles once in years since I switched to proper braces or boots.

I put my first 50 miles on Renegades this year, they’re sturdy.  They’re the only pair I could find that were wide enough.  Before that I was using Solomon Quests but found them too narrow.  The Renegades are 53 oz /pr in 13EE, Solomon’s 48oz/pr in 12.5 reg.

Next year I might try something like the LPs + these EVO braces (4 oz/pr) for a lighter weight set up.  I play singles tennis and basketball often and have never once rolled or injured with these braces on.  They’re incredibly protective without feeling restricted like stiff sided braces would.  But they will be hot, sweaty and (from experience) stinky.

You only find out the hard way if forgoing boots or braces work.  I’m done taking chances and hoping for the best.  To me its not worth getting knocked out of action experimenting without support anymore.

Edit: I forgot to add, definitely do the strengthening, it helps especially with avoiding rolls from smaller events; my ankles would pop out (and need a chiro to pop back in) playing cards (no joke), physio helped

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Boots obviously help; that’s why every soldier gets a pair. The current trend in hiking boots is toward mid-highs, which are not high enough to give much support but are less comfortable than shoes. Personally I don’t get it.

Tactical boots are tall enough for support, lightweight, and have stiff soles (like rock plates) for rougher trails. To me, they make more sense than most hiking boots.

Under Armour Valsetz are especially lightweight and very well ventilated. Good Summer choice.

Garmont T8 NFS (Need For Speed) are even lighter, but they are mostly suede leather and not well ventilated. If you want a mostly-leather boot, these are worth a look.

Merrell Tacticals have a waterproof-breathable membrane that works well. I like them for Winter or wet weather.

I also like Merrell Novas, which are like Moabs except that the Novas have a rock plate for rougher trails. Not available in full-height, and the mid-highs are WPB, so I use the low version in the Summer when I want a lighter shoe than the Under Armours. They won’t help your ankles but are worth mentioning.

I’ve almost rolled the same ankle a couple of times but my hiking pole saved me.

Good point in favor of trekking poles.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

maybe exercises to make ankle muscles stronger?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

The Evo braces are excellent. But they take up a lot of volume. But give far more support than the malleotrain that I linked to. So yeah, as others have said, explore and find what works best for you. the boot and brace (whichever type) form a system.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I tried compression sleeves like the Malleos and neoprene braces but unfortunately still torched ankles.  The EVOs don’t take up much room in a normal low cut (but would be a deal breaker in a mid).   I have a hell of a time finding shoes large and wide enough and the EVOs fit everything low cut that I’ve thrown at them.

Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

For every new pair of shoes a pair of 3030 Pressure Relief insoles are also added. Been wearing those for decades. You will know when you find the system that fits you. You get some good stability under you and things just work better.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Jerry’s suggestion about doing strengthening exercises is of course a good one. It’s certainly a necessary part of the whole equation. For many, it may be enough. I’ll just note that Steph Curry often wears  an Evo like brace when playing. I’m guessing his trainers have him exercising as well.

Anatomy plays a big role. Just as one can’t exercise their way out of bad eyesight–the lens and cornea don’t respond to work outs–so too anatomical ankle freaks like myself–say it proud, say it loud!–can’t muscle their way to normalcy. And yet, freakier still, we’re drawn to the mountains.

Mostly I’ve hiked without any brace at all–but with Keen high tops. There have been times when I’ve needed more, ranging from a compression sock type to the Evo.

This brace is new to me, and it looks interesting. Less volume than the Evo:

https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/FOOT-SUPPORTS-BY-ACHILLOTRAIN-%26-MALLEOTRAIN/MalleoLoc-Ankle-Brace/p/YPBF_ORF_MALLEOLO?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Thanks all! I’m going to try one of these braces suggested here and stick to the altras for now. I have enough time before my trip to experiment.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I have an old ankle injury that prevent range of motion in my left ankle. When I get near the range limit-which is usually by accident, slipping, etc. the pain is pretty bad. When I wear a boot, the little bit of added resistance in flexion caused by the boot material helps me not hit that range limit quite well. Wearing low cut trail shoes-which I do also-Altra Superior, Lone Peaks, does not prevent that range issue. For me, in my case, I prefer a boot on technical trails or hiking off trail where terrain is varied greatly.

Joe Vigil
    BPL Member

@jvigil

I recommend that you get boots (mids).

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Joey G The two boots you name at the beginning of the post are apples and oranges.  The Lowa built is more like a high top mountaineering boot.  The Sportiva is a trail running shoe with high tops.

Like Brad above I have a history since high school sports of ankle injury.  For backpacking, esp when I have any cross country involved, I wear a mid with a stiff midsole.   The midtop does not really provide support but gives tactile sensory input (proprioception) that aids my balance to correct myself before I turn the ankle.

The EVO braces are great for rehabbing an injured ankle they are a pain to take off in the dark.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

nm

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I’ve never rolled an ankle, but only because of mids that fit me, and as is often said, everyone must find a mid that fits by trying them on in the stores.  There is no shortcut.  What works for me won’t work for most others, and vice-versa.  David D is right.

So years ago, I found a mid that fit.  What a blessing.  And when the soles wore too far down at the heel, was able to find a pair on Ebay in the same size and almost new condition, even though the company abandoned that mid model a few years ago, and none of their cheap replacements fit well.  Just guessing, but it seems to be the placement of the lace hooks on each side of the ankle, well below the laces, that is the key.

Mids don’t work for Bill B, and that could be because the mids he’s tried simply don’t fit well.  Once I found a WPB mid that fit well, it also kept out water when sloshing across streams etc.  The key to that is light WPB low gaiters, which also serve to keep the feet cool in burning hot weather above timberline.  For many, the equivalent of low cut sneakers won’t do that.

Won’t mention the mids I use, because don’t want folks to think a particular brand is the answer.  But it is a light inexpensive mid from Europe that is high quality.  You just have to find that kind of a mid that fits your foot well.  With the demise of custom boots, that is the only answer; and those heavy custom boots, while they did fit well, were no where near the mid for lower weight and hiking comfort.

So hit the stores and find the right mid, and get a good pair of WPB gaiters to use over it in overly hot, or overly wet conditions.  Don’t think you will be sorry.  If you also day hike a lot, that should provide the needed exercise.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

In my experience, boots (even mids) provide a bit of extra support that helps provide some resistance to rolling your ankle. They also protect your ankles from banging into stumps and rocks. However, if you really want to protect your ankle, a more rigid brace would probably be the way to go. I think the best use of a brace would probably be if you wanted to do a trip while still not 100% recovered from a bad sprain. Unfortunately, it’s really not comfortable to hike for long hours with one of those braces, so I’d try to minimize its use if possible.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Thanks all! I’m going to:

1. get a mid boot

2. Strengthen and make ankles more mobile

3. And get a one of these https://www.bauerfeind.com/b2c/Sports-Products/Sports-Ankle-Support/p/YPBF_SPF_SANKLESUP

I really like trail runners, but I like not ending a trip because of a rolled ankle more.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Good call.  If I can offer up one suggestion, bring a ziploc freezer bag as a sink, and wash the braces every couple days with some bio soap while in use.  Or leave as is as bug (and human) repellant. :)

If you find any strengthening exercises that over time you think have a notable impact, please share, it would make a great thread for us wobble ankles.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

David D,
    Re: “If you find any strengthening exercises that over time you think have a notable impact, please share, it would make a great thread for us wobble ankles.”

My exercises focus mostly on the knees and lumbar, or lower back.  So that is why simple walking on moderate ground is needed, and now, in the middle of an intense tick season has to focus more on town roads.  A little boring, but this does strengthen the feet and ankles, especially when the ticks abate a bit, and moderate forest trails get me and the two sheepdogs off the roads.  But should mention that what worked on the ticks in the past is no longer as effective.  It is about climate change and global warming with lots of wet weather.

The only indoor exercise for the feet the comes to mind is the Runner’s Stretch, which loosens up the achilles tendons and surrounding muscles.  That and many exercises are treated in Dr. DiNubile’s illustrated books, available from Abe Books and other second hand book sites on line.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

David D,
    Oops, left out another exercise, commonly known as ‘Jane Fondas,’ which are done lying on a side, and raising one leg. It does seem to help with strength around the ankles in addition to other muscles.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

Thanks Sam, I assume it’s this one (there’s also this but you can get arrested doing it in public).

This study points out that ankles decline more than other joints with age, and to focus on strengthening the calves, with some recommended exercises.  I plan to work these in and see how it goes.

Ian H
    BPL Member

@carpus

I have crappy ankles and need support on all but the most groomed tracks. I’m an orthopaedic/hand surgeon by trade, and my foot and ankle colleagues threaten me with ligament reconstructions that I want to avoid.  Exercises only help so far, I can fall over barefoot at home.  The best one is boosting proprioception (knowing where your body parts are) with a rocker board. If your local physiotherapist doesn’t have one, get a 2′ diameter barrel lid and nail half a baseball to the bottom of it – stand and ‘surf’ on that so the muscles of ankle support get used to fast response. It still doesn’t work 100% of the time, if you’re caught by surprise like treading on a rock or slippery sand/mud/ice. The main stabilisers are the Peronei (the meaty bit that sticks out in front of your shin) so exercises like walking on your heels help strengthen these.

I like the Altra Lone Peaks 6 on good quality trails, the low/broad combo is good. Arcteryx Konseal or Acrux ae good on slippery rock, also low.

For serious walking, the only boot I haven’t sprained an ankle in is the Scarpa Wrangell. It ain’t exactly ‘light’, but it’s the lightest thing that does the job (apart from my Asolo TPS plastics!) The Mammut Sapuen is less supportive but 1/3 the weight for less technical terrain.

For multiday walks I tape my ankles, with 1 1/2″ (38mm) non stretch sports tape. I was taught by a physio friend who was a good netballer (women’s basketball), so had plenty of experience of ankles rolled. Shave ankle first (you’ll regret it next week if you don’t!) and use a ‘stirrup’ of tape in a U shape from the medial to lateral side (inside to outside) of the ankle, going about a hand’s breadth above the malleoli (bony lumpy bits). Then a few circumferential tapes to hold the main tape down. The more layers of U tape you use, the more rigid. It’s thinner and easier to fit in a shoe/boot than the commercial braces, and stronger because it’s stuck to you. My favourite is Leukoplast Premium, which is the brown version of the usually white Leukoplast. You need most of a roll of tape to do both ankles, so the Scarpa Wrangell is cheaper over a year or so.

It’s hard to get the tension right, so it doesn’t dig in and cause blisters, but lots of practice helps you get used to the feel of it.

Hiking gaiters don’t really help, back in the 70s I used to have a pair of US Army surplus gaiters of Vietnam War era, they were much stronger and supportive. Haven’t seen that design for decades.

Trekking poles really help, and common sense stuff like not walking while admiring/photographing the view (guilty as charged). Sometimes you just can’t help it, like the rabbit hole hidden in long grass.

I keep thinking about a custom moulded carbon fibre brace to restrict lateral movement but allow flexion/extension, compatible with a lighter shoe. I’ve never seen a commercial one that’s any good.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools