Topic

Short winter trips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Short winter trips

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As I enter into full geezerhood I am doing short winter trips (1 or 2 miles max at 9,000+ ft.)

My attitude is better short trips than no trips.

-> First my travel area is kinda limited here in the Las Vegas area Spring Mountains.

-> Second “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak” as I get well into my 70s.

-> Third I just love winter camping and I have all the Ski Patrol  special training (Avy 1, Winter Travel and Rescue, Mountaineering) and extensive experience in the eastern and the western US (west of the Rockies).

-> Finally I GOT THE GEAR! From -20 F. down bag, insulated mattress, white gas stove or ti Caldera Cone wood stove, winter tents to winter clothing in spades.

It’s going be a good winter for getting into the mountains “…to get their good tidings.” as Muir said.

And when In my 80s it may well be winter car camping – that is if we still have winters by then!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

First my travel area is kinda limited here in the Las Vegas area Spring Mountains

Don’t you live next door to a rather large area (1.5 million acres) administered by the National Park Service, that also includes 9 wilderness areas? Snow is rare there as are people in the backcountry. These two “rarities” are a plus for me. Most Decembers I do a backpacking trip there.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

When I ordered my McHale pack last year I told him at age 68 I’m probably stupidly insane to get such a nice pack as I won’t be around long enough to enjoy it—but dangit it finally arrived and hauls even more crap than ever before.

I still haul tremendous weight—my last trip started out with 50 lbs of just food and fuel—44ozs of white gas—and so my pack with winter gear topped out at around 90 lbs—for a 21 day uninterrupted trip.

Thing is, I do short mile days!  My first day was in 3.5 miles with a gain of 1,000 feet in elevation—A Sac Kicker!  But I made it.

I suppose one day I’ll have to hang it up and investigate the Terror of Car Camping.  Please Zeus No!!!  Until then it’s a loaded pack and one step at a time . . . with careful boot placement and NO FALLING!

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

It’s lighter if you measure in kilos; 23 kilos sounds a lot less than 50 pounds but you seem to eat well while out

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Walter, my hat is off to you for carrying those weights. I just could not bear that torture. I’d cache the food along the way if at all possible rather than carry it.

Yes, at 68 I was able to do a fair amount more than I can now at 75. You will find that once past 70 Father Time takes his inevitable toll. But I can still get a look from a pretty woman… if she’s about 50 yards away.

Nick, Yeah, there are larger Wilderness Areas within a day’s travel but I’d rather stay closer to home just in case.  I do cary a SPOT beacon, again just in case.

But as I go further north in Nevada for coyote hunting I may find snowy places I like for camping.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Eric—

Walter, my hat is off to you for carrying those weights. I just could not bear that torture.”

What’s really odd with such weight is that the first step away from the car on Day 1 of 21 is the best feeling in the word.  It’s a mix of Excitement and Adrenaline.  I know I have everything I need for the next 3 weeks and can eat my way to Less Weight. And my trip itinerary will take me thru some awesome backcountry so I don’t have to see civilians or traffic or folding money for a long while. So, obviously it’s not torture . . . for me . . .

Torture is a black friday sale and I’m stuck in the sprawl of the cancer cell called The City.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools