Topic

Shop that will sew DCF?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Shop that will sew DCF?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

Not sure if this is the right forum, as I really don’t want to make my own gear.

I would like to find a shop that could sew me a bothy bag out of DCF fabric.

Any shops out there that will take on custom sewing projects?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Kai,

DCF is sandwiched in fragile mylar, similar to a thinner saran wrap but without the strength.  The dyneema fibers inside the DCF sandwich look like a woven fabric, but are not.  So while DCF is strong in some respects, the mylar is easily punctured and the laminate can lose its waterproofness.  If you just sew DCF, the needle holes are likely to enlarge, loosening the seams.  That is probably why tentmakers use waterproof adhesive tapes to join DCF panels.  The tapes are available from fabric suppliers that sell DCF laminate.  So you would need a custom shop with experience with DCF joinery to make  the bothy bag.

While sewing alone will not create strong waterproof DCF seams, the areas taped can be sewn through, although with the more expensive tapes, some prefer to bond with just the tape alone.  In short, DCF cannot be sewn with the same results as a woven, coated fabric.

Also, the DCF bag would not transmit vapor from perspiration, and could be more stiff than you would like.  Many place breathable fabrics on the top of such bags; but then, you would be joining the tape to a woven fabric, which might present additional problems.

Note that many prefer silnylon for the floors of tents over DCF; so there is some question about whether DCF would make a better bothy bottom.  You might want to direct your inquiry to Rainy Pass, or one of the other gear repair shops noted at:  https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/a561714/best-outdoor-gear-repair-shops/

Hope this is helpful.

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

Very helpful.

Thank you Sam.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools