Topic

shoes/socks for Costa Rica jungle, Peninsula Osa?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) shoes/socks for Costa Rica jungle, Peninsula Osa?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Wondering if anyone has experience there….

Its gonna be hot, muddy, humid, wet, full of bugs

I have read everywhere forget sneakers, hiking shoes or boots….they will cake in mud

I have read around online to go with rubber boots, thats what the local guides wear. Any suggested socks for that?

I will also have some Keens water shoes for easier parts and hanging out but may wear socks with them

http://www.basspro.com/Keen-Newport-H2-Water-Shoes-for-Men/product/12102006470016/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I didn’t wear anything special just my trail runners (inov-8) and  Drymax running hyper-thin no show socks, no problems.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

When I was there I wore Chacos.

If I went back I’d go with my lunas.  It was DAMNED hot/humid when I was there – the hottest I think I’ve ever been in.  I wore as few clothes as humanly possible.  My photos from one of our hikes are totally useless because of all the condensation in my camera.  I mean – it was HUMID.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I spent a couple weeks on the peninsula and agree with the above.  Frickin’ humid.  I wore an unbuttoned, button down shirt, swim trunks and sandals the entire time.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

In Feb 2012, I hiked in Corcovado National Park with my usual trail runners and thin hiking socks.

No issues with feet, but the ticks were insane.  I think I pulled over 100 ticks off me during the four days I was camping in the park.  The covered tent platform at Sirena Ranger Station were crawling with them.

I’d like to go back and repeat the hike (despite the ticks) because I had such a great time.  I saw more wildlife within Corcovado than any other Central America park I’ve explored.  However, as of Feb 2014 a guide is required in the park.  I don’t like guided trips. :(

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Im going there in May.

Bring Trekking poles?

My guide says I should bring boots bc of ants, ticks etc…

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Corcovado is an amazing place – it has the greatest density of wildlife that I’ve seen anywhere on earth.  I went in early 2014, just before they made guides mandatory.  Night hiking is officially not allowed, but tapirs are nocturnal, and active at night all around Sirena.   The authorities seem to be willing to stretch the definition of “night” to allow guided groups to go out in darkness very early in the morning — so you should insist that your guide gets up as early as it’s allowable to go, and be the first group out.

I’m not convinced about rubber boots.  You have a fair distance to hike to get in there, mostly along the beach, and they are not so comfortable for that.  And basically everything gets wet and stays wet, including the inside of rubber boots.  Bear in mind that you have to cross Rio Claro, that was knee-deep.   I went with trail runners and thin socks that I knew were comfortable when wet.

Yes, you should take a hiking pole for stability in the mud and to have something to poke crocodiles with (I’m not kidding, there was a small one hanging around Rio Claro when I crossed).

And, as mentioned, there are many ticks around Sirena.   The heat and humidity mean that covering up is unrealistic.   I did frequent body checks, and removed several.    I don’t recall any other insects being a problem (in January).

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

bring gaiters?

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

The only motivation for wearing UL gaiters might be to keep the ticks off your ankles, perhaps?

But if you’re thinking in terms of gaiters to keep dry – no, I don’t think they are going to work.   It’s so wet and humid that I think the best approach is to accept that everything will remain in a generally damp and muddy state most of the time – so wear things that are comfortable and won’t give you blisters when wet, and will dry fast if the opportunity arises, for example when walking along the beach in the sunshine.   I used light mesh non-GTX trailrunners that fit comfortably and that were well-tested for comfort in wet conditions, and I’d use the same thing if I went again.

Having said that, I went without a guide, and I covered a lot more miles than a guide will generally do – the majority of clients are not experienced hikers.   You could go for the rubber boot approach, along with a second pair of light shoes of some kind, and just keep the miles short.   It’s not as though you need to walk a long way to see wildlife once you’re at Sirena, so the hike in and out along the beach is the only obligatory mileage.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Some pics and movies here.   My camera battery let me down, so this is all iPhone, so obviously the quality is highly variable, but this gives you a feel.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ybna7uclfqkbxiq/AAB3huc1Mn1iQXkhGqtwhlSka?dl=0

In the movie of the coatis (the mammals similar to raccoons) they are digging for turtle eggs buried on the beach.    They scattered when I walked up;  but I sat down quietly a few feet from the hole, and eventually they overcame their nervousness and came back – turtle eggs are obviously tasty.   They seemed similar to raccoons in temperament and niche.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Just to add – this is the only place I’ve even seen a puma (i.e. a mountain lion).   Not a great sighting, but unmistakable – at night, staring at me out of the jungle for what seemed like ages (but probably only about 10s) before it ran off.    Fortunately, monkeys are much easier prey.    I think casualties from annoyed tapir barges are higher than from cats.   I seem to remember a government minister was hurt by a tapir a few years ago.  They are herbivores, of course, and I saw dozens with no aggression, but some of them are huge, so I imagine they could do some serious damage with their bulk.   The guides told me that it’s not uncommon to see jaguar claw marks on them – so the adults are capable of fighting off a jaguar.

And although in most parts of the world I think the risk from snakes tends to be wildly exaggerated, I’d suggest that you learn what the pit viper Bothrops asper looks like.   There’s a delightful picture of untreated tissue damage on the Wikpedia page.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

Have a look at the shoes/boots from Astral Buoyancy. I have a pair of the Hiyak’s that I use for creeking/canyoning at work. For constant wet the Hiyak’s or the Rasslers would be my choice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools