Topic

Shenandoah National Park Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shenandoah National Park Trip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Hi everyone,

I’ve heard the fall colors are a beautiful sight in Shenandoah Valley in October, so I want to plan a trip through there on the AT for mid October and wanted your advice. I plan to fly to Concord, NC to see my brother-in-law and rent a car from there to drive to Shenandoah. Here are my questions:

1. I have about 9 days to do this trip and I usually do 18 to 22 miles a day when I hike on the AT, so that gives me about 160 to 200 miles I can do during this time. Where would you recommend I start and finish (Also, NOBO or SOBO)?
    2. I will park my rental at one end of the trail and get shuttled to the other end of the trail so I can hike back to the car. What would be the cheapest shuttle service?
    3. The weather reports show the night time lows in the upper 40’s, for those who have hiked here in Mid-October, is this about accurate?
    4. Are there bugs to worry about this time of year?
    5. About how far apart are water sources here? Do I need to worry about them being dried up this time of year?
    6. Any other things I should worry about for this trip?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sanad

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Mid October is peak leaf season and the touring gawking and loud motorcyclists will be out all thru the Park.  If you don’t mind hearing the roars of Harleys all day then you’ll be fine.

If it was me I’d try to find a backpacking destination as far away from Skyline Drive as possible.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

That doesn’t sound pleasant at all, thanks for the heads up. I’ll need to find a less popular destination to see the fall leaves then.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Have you thought about the doing some of the AT or BMT in NC/TN?

Though it’s 96* here today so who knows when the leaves will change.  I’m at 700ft so they will change earlier at 5000ft.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Hi Brad, I’ve only ever hiked the AT in the Carolinas so the BMT might be a nice change, I will look into that as an option. Are there shuttles available for the BMT?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The BMT parallels the AT through GA, TN , and NC from Springer Mtn to Davenport Gap.  It goes west of the AT for most of it’s length, and then crosses the AT near Fontana Dam and then is east of the AT through most of the Smokies.  Most shuttle drivers that shuttle the AT will also shuttle the BMT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools