Topic

Shelter type for wonderland trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shelter type for wonderland trail

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

I am rolling the dice on walkin permits in a couple weeks for the wonderland trail. Figure it shouldn’t be too hard since it’s the end of the season. I am planning my gear to take, and can’t decide on a shelter. Starting on September 26th, I am not too worried about bugs, so I could conceivably just rely on a tarp. My only hesitation there would be rain. My main question is for those of you familiar with the designated sites: are they generally pretty well drained, or could I wake up in the middle of a lake if it starts dumping rain at night? Because that might have me leaning more toward an option with a bathtub floor.

Thanks for any insights you could lend!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

No Name
    Spectator

@abc123abc

Permits should be ok. I was able to get one for 11-15 September. When I showed up to the ranger station the first day campsite permit was somewhat difficult to sort out, but after that I had plenty of choice where to go. This was during a full week of sunshine, so I bet it will be much easier now.

From my judgement it seemed most campsites are well drained. Bugs no problem.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I had one night with a bit of a puddle. (albeit not technically on the Wonderland, Glacier Basin)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I just drove over Blewett and Snoqualmie passes in a full bore rainstorm, although it wasn’t too bad in Seattle. I mean, it was torrential at Snoqualamie. Typical for this time of year, I’d say. Maybe the weather report will tell you more as the time approaches. But any rain from the coast will be magnified around the mountain.

Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

Oh I will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast. I am not committed to doing the trip in hell or high water (literally). It needs to look at least half-decent for me to go through with it. Southwest flights can be credited forward, after all!

Having said that, I am expecting rain to be part of the picture on this trip, so want to make sure I am prepared for it as best as I can be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools