Topic

Shelter choice for week in Flat Tops Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter choice for week in Flat Tops Wilderness

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Locale: Hudson Valley, NY

Hey all, wanted to get some advice.  I am heading to CO for a week long backpacking trip in the Flat Tops Wilderness and trying to decide which of my (too many) shelters to take.

I would prefer to bring my hammock, but bit concerned about finding good hanging trees.  My plan for a backup would be to just go ahead and bring the hammock with a tarp (would have anyhow) and supplement with a bug bivy in case have a night with no trees.

Other option is just to bring a regular tent (HMG Echo II) and keep my weight down, but generally prefer the comfort of hanging if I can make it happen.

Thoughts?

gw

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Greg

I have been up there 3 times in the summer/fall.  I’m not a hanger, but there are plenty of pockets of trees to hang in if that is what you want to do.  It is not above treeline for the most part so you should be good with the hammock.

I went in from “The Meadows” trailhead off of coffee pot road each time if you need any information on that area.

Ben

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was up in the Flat Tops last summer. As mentioned, even up high, there were plenty of groves and pockets of trees. I don’t use a hammock, but I imagine it will work. I think the Flat Tops are underrated, I had a great hike and lot of solitude that can be in short supply in places like the Maroon Bells or the Weminuche.

Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Locale: Hudson Valley, NY

Awesome and thanks!  Super looking forward to this trip and have grown to love the comfort of hanging.  I did go ahead and order a 5oz bug bivy just in case, but hoping don’t need to use it.

gw

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools