Topic

Shell Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shell Pants

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve (VT)
    BPL Member

@spdickens

Time for new pants. Have always used Gore Tex full zip hard shell over base layer for snowshoeing and backcountry skiing into high peaks (Adirondacks — think cold, snowy, windy). Now I read many use soft shells, but not sure where they are. Hard to get my brain around. True? Safe? What about a combo: lightweight softshell (Mtn Equip Kinesis) plus light 3/4 zip hard shell in pack (OR Forray). Or stick to tried and true Gore Tex (Pro) full zip hard shell? Thanks in advance.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Unless you’re falling down a lot or in wet, slushy snow I’d recommend softshell pants. They’re more breathable and comfortable IME. I like the Outdoor Research offerings best (the Cirque Lite pants). If you need more warmth or water protection, add thermal baselayers and gaiters.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I usually wear Marmot Scree pants with a lightweight Patagonia base layer under them. If its snowing hard enough or raining I will put my Arc’Teryx shell pants over them. I spend my time primarily in the Catskills NY and have plans to be in the Dacks this winter.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Depends on how wet the snow.

Also texture of fabric in relation ability to self arrest if you ski above hazards.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!