Topic

Shave weight on Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Shave weight on Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett T
    BPL Member

@bretttayl78

I started off as a tent camper years ago, but my wife and I have been hammocking for the past several years. I recently picked up a used Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 so we could do a little more tent camping. It’s a previous year’s model (so the vestibule doors don’t have “porch mode.”)

To other Copper Spur users, I’m wondering if there are any mods you recommend to shave a little more weight off of this otherwise already fairly darn light tent? I’m not handy with a sewing machine, I’m just looking for simple suggestions. Other than loosing the corner guylines, I can’t see much here that can be improved upon for weight savings. Even those guylines are only a few grams, I mainly took them off just because I can’t imagine ever actually needing them for the conditions we hike in, and they would just be in the way more than anything.

One idea was to reduce my stake count. Since it is freestanding, I’m considering simply staking down the four sides of the fly and not bothering with staking the tent corners. Hard winds are usually not an issue for us, and I could always bring them on occasion whenever  it seems like a good idea for the trip.

Thanks–

–Brett

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have the CS HVUL1, (non porch model). There’s nothing much you can do here. I’ve done a few mods but not for the sake of loosing weight per se. I took off the rainfly zipper cover as it always snags at the worst moments possible. Coated the zipper fabric w/ silicone/mineral spirits mix=waterproof. Switched out the guy lines for marginally lighter ones. Less stretch. OEM lines stretch horribly when wet. Cut out the manufacturer tags of course. Just hate that kind of useless clutter. The biggest weight savings came from switching out the stakes with Lawson Equipment UL 7″ Ti shepherd hook stakes. I guy out all 10 lines regardless and it’s still lighter than the OEM stakes. Depending on your usual terrain, shepherd hooks may or may not work for your soil type. Do what works for you. I’ve contemplated making a custom set of carbon fiber poles. Have priced and weighed it out and I can save more weight here but haven’t done that yet.

Brett T
    BPL Member

@bretttayl78

I appreciate you taking the time to give the suggestions. I would be curious to hear how the carbon fiber pole mod works out, that certainly may have some benefit. As for stakes, in my location I haven’t had much luck with shepherds hooks unfortunately. For my typical situations, the best balance of weight/functionality I have found so far has been the mini groundhog. There isn’t a substantial weight difference between the OEM stakes and the mini’s, but switched them anyway more as a matter of personal preference than anything else.

Thanks again for the tips!

–Brett

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools