Topic

Share or Solo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

I know many of you tarp it, so that is a moot point, but for those that use a tent:

When you go on trips with friends, do you share a tent, or do you take your own?  What about friends of the opposite sex if you’re married/committed/they’re married/committed?

I’m just curious, in a general-poll sort of way.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

With a friend of the opposite sex, whether or not we were committed to someone else, well, that would probably be tempting fate a little too much. It could end up being be like the tent scene in Brokeback Mountain (in a heterosexual kind of way mind you).

As far as a friend of the same sex, I say let them sleep in their own tent. Besides, the way I snore no one would want to spend the night next to me anyway.

A hardcore mountaineering expedition might be a different story though.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Unless I am backpacking with my spouse, the best two person tent, is two- one person tents.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Oh, one person for sure. I need my sleep! so do the people I’m hiking with. but the “old school” lightweight, actual one person tents (not a duo for one).

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, With two people, a two man tent weighs about the same as two one person tarps. So I often take 1 smaller tarp at around 12oz and a two man tent at around 3.0 pounds. Total is about 3.75 pounds which we split. The tarp is for the cooking area, often enough needed to make it worth while. Stakes poles and tarp, tent body and fly.

I really don’t have a problem with sleeping with other people, regardless of sex. Wife, daughters, friends, etc. All are just people in the woods.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Interesting.  I do both.   In my SAR team, we don’t think twice about sharing tents.  I am rather amused by the ‘tempting’ fate comment.  As if two adults can’t be in a small space without succumbing to…erm, I don’t even know.

I do have a couple of opposite sex friends I don’t share tents with, a couple that I do, and my spouse never gives it a thought.  He just figures I’m taking the best tent for the situation.  Sometimes it makes sense to share, sometimes I’d rather my own space.  I like hearing what others do.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I tend to share when going with other women, unless they have personal space issues.  I have shared with male friends, but not as much.  I wonder if women are just more likely to share a tent?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I do not plan to share a shelter. The thing I like most about BPing is the self sufficiency. I have only what’s on my back and I’m responsible for my own comfort, health and safety.

In a group situation it is of course one for all, all for one, nobody left behind. I will share whatever I have if someone is in need. But planning to share shelter is not an “efficiency” in which I am interested…as Monte mentions, mountaineering expeditions excepted :)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

After a few days on the trail I tend to be pretty dishevelled and somewhat fragrant no matter how much care I take with personal hygiene. The whole idea of ‘succumbing’ to the charms of a tent mate is pretty laughable to me. I tend to prefer to carry my own shelter, but I would have no qualms sharing a multi-person tent with either sex. Just bring an eye mask and ear plugs…

A female friend (platonic friendship) and I talked about the pros and cons of sharing a tent just the other day. She has such bad experiences with hiking partners abandoning her on the trail that she’s learned to be entirely self-sufficient and to go at her own pace. But that’s another matter entirely. Anyone who did that to me would be an ex hiking partner immediately.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

The whole idea of ‘succumbing’ to the charms of a tent mate is pretty laughable to me.

I must agree. Plus, it also assumes that just because you might be tempted, your tent mate would be as well. Which, imho, is erroneous at best and downright ridiculous at worst.

But I do understand wanting to solo for many other reasons. All of which are valid.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Heeey… you’re not my usual tent mate!

Brown chicken- Brown Cow

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

one note is that two people in a tent, especially a solid inner double wall, can substantially increase the inside temps at night … and not through naughty activities either

it can also increase the condensation significantly, but thats another issue …

theres a reason why alpinists and mountaineers think nothing of sharing tents

;)

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Right! A good reason TO share a tent.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I’m somewhat hesitant to present my view on the topic, but since the OP wanted to know opinions in a “general poll” sort of way, here goes:

Personally, I would never share a tent with a married member of the opposite sex unless it were a survival situation.  Here, I’m assuming a two person tent.  (By the way, I’m not a mountaineer, so those situations don’t come up for me).

If it were a bunch of people in a twelve person tipi, that would probably be fine.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

There’s no “right” or “wrong”, to each his own. I am interested to see if there is a trend, but it seems fairly even. Thanks for sharing.   :)

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

No problem, thanks for being gracious!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I only share a tent with my boyfriend. Sometimes we bring separate tents, like if we are going to separate at some point, one of us going home and the other continuing on.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’d sure share a tent,

regardless of scent,

with a gal or a guy, yeah, you bet.

While I usually don’t,

it ain’t ‘cause I won’t,

it’s just no one has asked me to yet!

And never you mind

about some bump and grind,

even if I had my tentmate’s consent.

After a long day hiking,

the only thing

I want to get up is my tent.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Still here wins.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I generally prefer a 1P setup. I like being self-sufficient and I don’t want to bother anyone with my crinkly unflatable pad.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Whatever… Thats just some van morrison lyrics.

Aimee M
    Spectator

@treehugger5

Second place has a better prize– you get to share a tent!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’m a huge fan of having my own space on a trip.

One of my best friends and I did the Torres del Paine circle in Patagonia a few years ago; had we shared a tent we would not be speaking to each other anymore.

On my first JMT thru my friend lost his tent and didn’t realize it until we were completely down from the pass (he had the fly creek cinched to the bottom of his pack and it just slid right out…).  There was quite a bit of discussion about his fitting in the vestibule of my duomid (i only had the solo inner) if necessary – but then some folks we were leap-frogging with caught up with us and handed him his shelter.

So basically I certainly WOULD share a tent if necessary, but shelters are so light these days there’s just no reason to share under “normal,” 3-season regular trail hiking kind of trips.

Besides…that way I can pee in the vestibule if I have to.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

I’ll readily share a tent with most any of my backpacking friends (unless maybe the combined weight of our solo shelters is less than a 2 person tent). We don’t even think twice about it. As for self sufficiency, once you’re in a group on an explicitly group trip, it’s about group sufficiency IMO. So any sharing of gear to save weight is fair game. This would be different if I knew that the pair/group might split up (like for thru hiking type scenarios were everyone always carries 100% of what they need).

I’ve also used a 2 person tent for 3 people, and a 4 person tent for 5 people, on a few occasions. Not much personal space but man is it warm! On one 5 day desert canyon trip I was on, I didn’t even bring a shelter since the weather forecast was perfect, and I made a crafty deal: I could squeeze into the 4 person group tent if it rained, but if I did, I would carry the entire tent for the remainder of the trip. It paid off and that’s still the lightest trip I’ve ever been on.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Solo for me, regardless of the sex or commitment, unless it is my wife, for any normal scenario.  Would not want to be in that close of quarters with anyone and also would rather not risk my good nights sleep.  Also part of my desire to camp and backpack is to get away, not to crowd into close quarters with someone else.

BTW, what difference does it make if it is a tent or a tarp?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools