Topic

Sewing padding on to back panel?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing padding on to back panel?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

Hi,

I have a pack with a back panel that is padded in a long, narrow vertical strip down the middle. This vertical padded strip sticks out perhaps 1/2 inch from the rest of the back panel (which is not padded).

I find this 1/2-inch protrusion very uncomfortable. I’m wondering what would happen if I added padding to the remainder of the back panel, such that the new padding is flush with the original protruding padding, and the whole pack is flush against my back. Anyone ever tried something like this? What materials do I even obtain for the back padding? Other considerations I’m not thinking of?

The pack is the SMD Fusion 65. It’s such a fantastic pack in all other ways. I don’t want to send it back; would rather modify it into something that works for me. [Bending or removing the stay as recommended by SMD did not solve the problem for me.]

-Elizabeth

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I would suggest taking that padding off instead of adding more. I have been making my own packs for many years and I do not put any padding on the back panel. Never had an issue as long as I am moderately careful about how I pack. Even my training pack, that I carry on local hikes with 20 lbs of gravel.

If you must add padding, you’ll want some foam that is at least as firm as what you have already, or a bit firmer, so that you definitley eliminate the ridge you now have. For my shoulder straps and hipbelts, I use FY20 from OWF:

http://www.owfinc.com/Foam-and-Padding/products/316/

Cover it with something with some texture to reduce the pack sliding around. I use the lightest Cordura I can get, whihc is 160D, but I don’t see it around lately. Just some Taslan would probably be fine, it has some texture to it, not a smuch as the Cordura but better than nothing. You could also use spacer mesh over the foam, but that adds more weight also:

http://www.owfinc.com/Spacer-3mm-Mesh/productinfo/SPACER3MM/

Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Adding additional padding may end up causing the pack to become more uncomfortable unless you’re careful. I agree with Paul that you’d want to ensure the padding is at least as firm (ideally more firm) than the middle padding, otherwise it will still feel like it’s protruding out.

You’d probably need to get a couple different pieces that Paul listed to see which one feels the best. Picking them out over the internet is tough. Using the mesh to cover the foam would allow for potentially better air flow, but it also leads to more dirt/rocks getting in there. If it was me, I’d probably cover it with this stuff.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/waterproof-nylon-fabric/products/210d-hdpe-gridstop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools