Topic

Sewing Machine: Consew 199R-1A?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing Machine: Consew 199R-1A?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

Hi all. I found a great local deal on a used Consew 199R-1A sewing machine. Anyone have any experience with this machine? From what I see online, this machine retails at around $2200.

Assuming it comes with a servo motor? Is that a default? Not sure if it’s a lockstitch, but it says it has a “locking zig-zag with regulator”.

Definitely a step up from what I have. I’ve been faux “bartacking” with a tight zigzag. I would probably do the same thing on this machine, as a tight zigzag forward and reverse is usually good enough. Biggest issue is “bartacking” through foam hip belts and shoulder straps with my current machine.

The 2A is advertised as being “used for rope tacking, making loops in rope and attaching small and medium size ropes to such products as truck covers, tents, sails, hammocks, parachutes, grain bags and many items of military and naval equipment”.

The 1A isn’t advertised as that, but still seems good based on the machine I currently have. Any input is welcome. I admit that I am not well versed on the different types of machines.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

http://www.consew.com/View/Consew-Model-199R-1A-1

Calls it a drop feed at the top and a needle feed in the specs. Which is it?

It is a lockstitch machine. It requires bobbins.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

It’s the 1A (says “199R-1A” on the model stamp from pictures), not the 1A-1. Maybe the 1A-1 is a newer model? Maybe not. I don’t see it on Consew’s site, but I see it on allbrands.com: 199R-1A

I thought it was drop feed, but I don’t see the at the above link. Is there a possibility It could be neither?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Why pick a dedicated zig-zag machine?
    I was of the understanding the stitch wasn’t as strong in a long seam as straight stitch

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

Not sure if there’s a specific reason why it’s called a “zigzag” machine besides advertising that it can also do zigzag stitching. It says does straight stitching when width is set to zero mm.

Forgive my ignorance, but is that sufficient?

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

It sews straight stitch and zigzag. A needle feed is nice for feeding slippery or heavy or sticky fabric, but a good drop feed with the right dogs and foot will be fine.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

I’m familiar with similar Consew machines.

A servo motor isn’t necessarily a default, it just depends how old it is and how the previous owner had it configured.  Clutch motors tend to be faster, so sometimes they’re the default.  You’ll know it if you see it – clutch motors are huge and heavy compared to servos.

If they let you, I’d try it out with some of the material and foam you intend to sew.  With thick and heavy layers a drop feed may or may not be a good choice if you’re looking for a big upgrade from a domestic machine (drop feed is the same single feed mechanism on domestic machines).  A machine like this seems like it’s designed to go fast through lighter projects.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

I just noticed it says 15/64″ clearance under the presser foot – that should give you a clue as to the thickness of materials they intend you to feed through it.  Less than 1/4″ may not be enough for foam and fabric layers.

Christian K
    BPL Member

@disciple3131

So the 1A (not the 1A-1, provided they actually are different) says 25/64″, which is about 0.4″. The machine I have now has only about a 1/4″ if that, and gives me trouble bartacking webbing on the 1/2″ thick hipbelts when the spacer mesh side is down.

I’ve got to smush the material under there and use a piece of fabric at least temporarily to get it under the foot because the spacer mesh catches the feed dogs too much. Plus, I haven’t actually been successful at attaching the webbing, even while turning the wheel manually… so I have a backpack sitting here unfinished. Went through 7 layers of x-pac on other parts of the pack, and pushes through the material fine, but won’t make the stitches on those hip belts.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

.4″ would be good.  I’d measure the foot lift on the actual machine you’re looking at to make sure.  They might not all be configured the same (parts are interchangeable).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools