Topic

Sewing foam straps with Sailrite walking foot machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing foam straps with Sailrite walking foot machine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bryson Young
    BPL Member

@brysonsethyoung

Does anyone have any experience sewing 3/8″ – 1/2″ foam plus face and back material for shoulder straps using a Sailrite walking foot machine? How does it perform in this situation?  Also can anyone recommend another machine that would excel at this? Thanks!

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

Are you referring to the Sailrite Ultrafeeds? LSZ1, LS1 or one of their industrial machines?

The LS series has a lower presser-foot lift and you’ll have trouble with thicker foams there. Its possible, but requires significant compression of foam to fit it all under there.

I used an LSZ1 for two years of building packs and gear before buying a Juki DU1181N. I lent out the LZ1 to a friend and use it occasionally for bartacks as I save my pennies for a programmable bartack machine.

If I could do it all over again, Id skip the sailrite and get a proper industrial first. The higher foot lift (with knee lift!) makes doing shoulder straps and thick webbing on packs so much easier. The lack of a zigzag can be overcome in most places with appropriate design.

Unless you absolutely need the zigzag, get a walking foot industrial like the Juki  DU1181N . The price difference is minimal for the utility the larger machine provides.

https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/juki-du-1181.php The Juki may actually be cheaper depending on your table setup on the sailrite. Absolutley worth it.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools