Topic

Sewing a footbox in a synthetic quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing a footbox in a synthetic quilt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowoc
    BPL Member

@nb

Howdy all,

I’m in the beginning stages of designing/ making a 50 degree synthetic quilt. I think I want to have a closed footbox and like the simplicity of the MLD Vision foot box (pic below). Any help on how I would go ahead to build and sew this? Other recommendations for a round or rectangular vs. just a simple drawstring are welcome as well.

Thanks everyone!

N

MLD Vison footbox

Bob Chiang
    BPL Member

@bobchiang

The first quilt a made was insulated with 3.6oz Apex and had a sewn footbox, so similar to what you are thinking of.  I read about trapezoidal end plugs and thought that was very clever: shaped for how your feet splay out when you lie on your back.  What I didn’t think about is that I usually sleep on my side!  ; )   It doesn’t seem to matter because the fabric in the footbox can conform to different shapes.  So my suggestion is to sew a round or square foot plug, or maybe rectangular with the long dimension oriented horizontally if you sleep on your side.

I haven’t tried a drawstring style: I like the simplicity of a sewn end.  If it gets too hot, I pull my feet out, so I haven’t missed being able to completely open the bottom of the quilt.

Have Fun,

-Bob

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

You can look for my threads here on how I did it as well as several posts on the MYOG subreddit. Lots of info. I’ve done circular as well as a hexagonal end cap for my quilts, I don’t think it matters much as Bob points out. The image you show gives a pretty decent way to avoid cold spots by minimizing the seams although that can result in the need for ordering more insulation than would other wise be needed.

yellowoc
    BPL Member

@nb

Thanks for that Bob! I like the simplicity of a sewn in box as well. I’ll look into some footplug options. Would you sew in the plug when the quilt is turned “right side out” or do it when it is “inside out”. Appreciate you insights.

N

yellowoc
    BPL Member

@nb

Thanks Michael. I’ll review those MYOG threads. I’m new to DIY stuff. It’s been really fun and rewarding. For the image I posted, how would one sew that? Thx.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Would you sew in the plug when the quilt is turned “right side out” or do it when it is “inside out”.

I basically sew the shell and liner into “tubes” since my foot box goes up about 24″ (just behind my knees), and sew the caps into each separately. For the synthetic quilts I made, I sewed the insulation to the shell and the shell cap, then sewed the shell+insulation to the cap+insulation, then attached this to the assembled liner+liner cap. I left about a 6-8″ opening in the middle of the liner seam that goes between my knee and the cap, which is where I pull the assembled quilt right side out, then hand stitch it closed there with a blind stitch. You could easily sew the area closed with a machine, I just like the cleanliness of the blind stitch there. Either way is not a big deal, since that area of the liner is not a highly visible spot  once the quilt is done. The liner in the footbox area floats in this type of construction since it is not attached to the insulation in that are, but I’ve not found that to be an issue.

yellowoc
    BPL Member

@nb

Thanks for the info Michael. That helps a tonne!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools