Topic

Sespe Loop trip, a 40-mile loop with hot springs, swimming holes and altitude

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sespe Loop trip, a 40-mile loop with hot springs, swimming holes and altitude

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I did a loop hike on the Sespe from Piedras Blancas, to Sespe Canyon, up the Johnston Ridge trail, along Piru Creek, up the Cedar Creek trail with a brief dip in the Fishbowls, up and over to Pine Mountain Lodge and back down through the Piedras Blancas.

The loop is about 40 miles total. The side trip to Fishbowls adds another 3 or 4 miles or so. You range from a low of about 2400′ to a high of over 6000′. You get chaparral, riparian and pine forest. Either way you do the loop you’re going to suffer. Johnston Ridge is a brutal climb in the hot afternoon. The climb from Piedras Blancas to Pine Mountain Lodge is very steep. I’ve normally done this trip clockwise to get most of the climbing done in the beginning but this time I did it counter-clockwise to save the prettiest parts for last. Either way is good.

Map of the Sespe loop hike

Sespe Creek has nice water right now, lots of places to take a dip. It is hard to believe that in summer this creek can be bone dry. Hiking down the Sespe is extremely popular.

Sespe Creek

I noticed a lot of this Spanish Broom growing along the creek. This is an invasive plant, an escapee from nursery plants commonly used for landscaping. I hadn’t noticed it in the Sespe creek on previous trips. Maybe I missed it being in full bloom on those previous trips. It has a very strong sweet fragrance.

Spanish Broom

The Sespe Creek trail is very popular and the broom seemed to coincide with some of the popular campsites. Almost every place that looked good for camping had multiple tents in it.

There are more pictures posted on my imgur page here.

Or if you like videos, I made two 20-minute videos of the trip on youtube.

John
    BPL Member

@dyneq

Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool Diane.

I’ve never done this particular loop but I know the area well.  It’s been a while since I’ve been that way…You’ve inspired me!

I want to link the Sespe with Fishbowls…I’ve been to both plenty, but never done the connection.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

It’s easy to connect. Johnston Ridge is a pretty brutal climb but I did it fine in the hot sun. I’d like to someday do a hike that visits Fishbowls and Cedar creek and also has a stop at the Reyes Creek Bar and Grill. It wouldn’t be a loop, though.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Great one, Piper! OH MAN you brought back some memories with your mention of the Reyes Creek Bar and Grill. That is one of the most delicious, and definitely most exciting/slightly terrifying post-hike meals I’ve ever had. Good hike too (Gene Marshall trail).

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I think it’s the best burger I’ve ever had there. Also I think all the staff were on meth.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Yes! So glad to find someone who has shared this immersive dining experience. I feel like I have to share my story now, but it’s definitely better suited to chaff, LOL   :)

Josh
    BPL Member

@gudmond

I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile. Do you need a permit or pass to park overnight at trailhead or anything? Was there water other place than the creek?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I did not use any sort of permit to park, no Adventure pass or anything. But I did park outside of the official parking lot because it was full. I’m actually unsure if Adventure pass is required or not.

I got all my water from the creeks. There are no faucets anywhere if that is what you are hoping for, but you cross the creek in about 1/4 mile or less from where you park.

John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

Piper, The meal looked delicious. Excuse me for being a tad forward, but how do I fix it?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

This meal?

dinner!

That was half a Knorr rice & pasta side (I think it was cheddar broccoli) with added dehydrated ground beef, dehydrated pinto beans, corn, lima beans and peas. I dehydrated those things myself. I think I added half a packet of pesto sauce powder you get from the taco seasoning and brown gravy department.

It tasted good but next time for sure I’m bringing beano.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools