Topic

Sesame Chili Ramen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Sesame Chili Ramen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

So a while back Heath Poulter on the forums here sent me some dried pork and other goodies from Asian food stores in Phoenix.  I finally got around to trying out the dried pork in a ramen recipe, and it came out really well on the first try.  It’s a bit light but otherwise quite good, so I think I’ll add some more ramen the next time (maybe do 1.5 ramen packages).

Ingredients for the base:

-one 3oz package of ramen, flavor packet removed
    -1/2 oz freeze dried peas
    -1 oz dried pork

Ingredients for the sauce:

-1/2 oz toasted sesame oil
    -1/2 oz neutral oil (I used walnut but peanut would work)
    -1 oz chili garlic paste

The cooking is quite simple: boil 1 cup of water, mix in base ingredients, then let sit for a while in a cozy (I have one I made for my solo pot that works well).  After a few minutes, base ingredients should all be rehydrated with no water remaining.  Add the sauce and eat.  Yum.

All the sauce ingredients could be premixed in a 2 oz bottle, or vacuum sealed in an individual use packet (I tried that with olive oil and it worked pretty well, you just have to put it in the freezer to thicken it up before sealing).

Ethan .
    Spectator

@ethans

Thanks for the recipe. I love cozy cooking. That dried pork has some potential for other recipes too. Maybe BBQ pork in a tortillia, mmm. Any idea how much it costs?

I was planning on experimenting with some new freezer bag cooking recipes this winter, but it turns out I’ve been able to be outside more this winter than over the summer! I need a new chicken salad since Mountain House dropped that product. I also want to experiment with a Spaghetti alla Carbonara recipe and play with an idea I had for a Philly Cheese Steak wrap.

Posts like this are appreciated. Thank you!

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

Nice!

That dried pork is really good stuff, and quite reasonably priced.  At our local Asian market it’s about $4.50 for a tub.  They have two varieties (both by the same company), a red label and a blue label.  The only difference is the red label stuff is more finely chopped.  We got the blue label, and it reconstituted as long thread-like strands.  We ended up chopping up the rest of the package with kitchen shears before vacuum-sealing it into individual portions, so next time we’ll probably go with the red label.

Incidentally, while you’re at the Asian market check out the ramen selection.  We have become rather fond of the Nongshim brand, it comes with dried veggies and a seasoning package that actually tastes good.  We particularly like the Shin Ramyun flavor, though it may be too spicy (hot) for some folks.

Both the dried pork and the Nongshim ramen are made in USA, if that matters to you.

Walt

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

DancingBear

Your local market is making a killing on that pork!!  I found the tubs for $2.99 in Veranda Asian Market in Portland, ME.

On a side note, Nissin ramen is way better tasting than Maruchan.  I have not side-by-sided Nissin with Nongshim.

KJ

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

I’ll have to try Nissin ramen.  My basis for comparison was the usual grocery store brands (Top Ramen, etc.) so the bar was pretty low to begin with.

I could be wrong about what I paid for the pork, it was a couple months ago.  But even at $4.50, it’s enough meat for several meals, so it’s pretty cheap compared to freeze-dried.

Thanks for the tips!

Walt

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

This sounds different and delicious. Thanks for posting!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools