Topic

Semi-DIY Backcountry Hunting Pack.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Semi-DIY Backcountry Hunting Pack.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve been using an old Gregory internal frame for hunting but this season demands the ability to haul heavier loads…and I don’t much like the idea of mixing meat and gear inside a pack.

Stripped an old REI external frame and added webbing galore.  Combined with a Golite Jam2, I have a week’s capacity for gear/food combined with the load hauling of the frame.  Game bags sandwich between the Jam and the frame.  The frame carries a 50# sandbag and gear….about as comfortably as I believe I can carry a 50# sandbag and gear.  And the frame can be left in camp, taking the Jam out for scouting if needed.  Dying it coyote or olive this weekend….Total weight for the two: a hair under 6 pounds, less than the Gregory I was carrying and apparently more functional.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

That’s an approach done in really high-end (but not as light) hunting packs: slip the high-density meat in closest to one’s back.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools