Topic

SEKI Late July Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SEKI Late July Hike

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Hey folks,

Taking comments and criticisms on my gearlist. I will be using this for approximately 2 weeks (probably more like 10 days) while hiking the Big SEKI Loop.

A couple of things I did not include: bug juice and toiletries. I’m a no TP kind of dude, so we’ll have to see.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=30831

Thanks!

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

The only thing I spot with a quick read is that you will need a bear canister for sections of that trail.  I wouldn’t count on being able to use bear boxes the whole time, and there are a big chunk of the loop where a canister is required.  That will also mean that you’ll need a different pack than the Core.  Plus, can you really get 10+ days of food in an MLD Core with all the rest of your stuff?

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

The other thing is that your sleeping bag might not be enough for that loop at that time of year.  You might get lucky and not get any nights below 30, or you might be able to plan your campsites so that you’re at lower elevations.  However, it can get down into the mid-20’s in the Sierras at elevation, even in July.  I don’t know enough about that bag to know if it’s temperature rating is conservative or optimistic, but it might not be enough to have that and your GW to keep you warm at night.  Is it a mummy bag?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would want a bladder for squeezing the water through your filter.

I would probably want a little warmer bag/quilt.  A 20 degree is just right for me in the Sierra.  If you sleep warm, you may be fine.

I agree, you’re going to need a bear can.  Unfortunately, I think that likely rules out use of the core pack.

I see no pot, stove, windscreen, lighter, or even a spoon.  You’ll need to add unless you are going stoveless with all finger foods.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

In regards to the bag – yes, it’s a mummy bag. I sleep very warm, and have usually had no issues sleeping at 15 degrees below the bag rating.

All of these things listed above take up very little volume. As it is, I would only be using about 2/3 of the internal volume of the pack (without compressing anything). I can comfortably fit the canister inside. Were I to need more room, I can strap my Gatewood + Netting + Pad + Footprint (all of it fits inside the Gatewood pocket) on the outside bungees of the pack.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Ben:

I stopped cooking a few years back. I pack my food into little mushy balls, eat it cold, and chug coconut oil for good measure.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did not know the core had that much volume.  That’s great if it fits.  You liking the pack?

I would also want a second pair of socks.

You could consider something to give your phone a boost of power at some point.  It’s not going to last 10 days.

Maps? Toothbrush? A few other minor things?  Whiskey?

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

I was very surprised too. The Core is supposed to have 1700 ci interior volume, but I assume that this is with the top rolled down and clipped all the way. Also, it came in at about 1.2 oz above the stated weight (without considering the removable waist strap). I brought it down to 7oz by replacing the bungee cord and stops with smaller ones, and replacing the sternum strap with dyneema cord loops and a mitten hook. I will post a picture of the pack once I get home.

In re: squeeze bag – absolutely. I might most likely replace one of my smartbottles with my 1L platy.

Phone battery: Still looking for good options. Most likely taking a pack with 3 charges. Any suggestions?

Maps and such: Need to look into this as well. I am still working on researching whether they are absolutely necessary for this loop. I am wearing a Suunto Core, so I might take a map just for the fun of running some triangulation and dead reckoning drills.

Toothbrush: Usually not for small trips. I carry a very tiny container of industrial-strength toothpaste, crazy high fluoride content. I floss (this is part of my repair kit) and “brush” with my finger. This was my dentist’s recommendation for the AT. Results: hiked for 5 months, developed no plaque, always healthy gums.

NOTE: I expect 10 days to be my max time out. I will be hiking with an expectation of 8 days. I am considering the option of changing the starting point to catch the one road crossing and resupply. I know Amy Lauterbach would shake her head slowly in dismay, but I consider the break in scenery worth the comfort of carrying half the amount of food.

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

You’d better not call it the Big SEKI Loop if you change the starting point and resupply! ;-)

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

One thing I am considering is keeping the same starting point, but hopping off to Bearpaw Meadow and gorging for dinner and breakfast. The purpose of this would be to stretch my food an extra day by the HST junction, and taking a detour off the BSL to summit Whitney (never done it, feels like a good time to do it once). Kind of a hanging hypothetical at this point.

EDIT: Hanging hypothetical, counting on an opening or otherwise being able to pay them for the food only!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I don’t see a first aid kit?

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

I don’t see a first aid kit?

Never been much of a first aid kitter. I have leather under my feet, so I haven’t developed a blister since 2003. In the case of lacerations, my repair kit has tape, needle and thread. If my leg falls off, I can fashion a tourniquet.

I’ve always carried a couple of tabs of imodium just in case, but never needed to use it.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Hello folks,

Quick update here. I took a lot of y’alls pointers into consideration, and made a few substantial adjustments (shelter, rain gear, cooking gear, map). I decided to add a very small cooking kit (or rather water boiling kit) since my intention is to rehydrate some couscous and coconut milk powder.

Things that are not listed here:

• Bear Canister (planning to pick one up at Road’s End – gotta find out about availability)
    • Phone Battery Pack (still need to figure out what my need will be)

Feel free to take a look and chime in.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=30831

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Nice sleeping pad. ;-)

Check out the Anker 10,000. I don’t remember the exact model but it’s only 6.4 oz and $20-25 on Amazon Prime.

Gonzalo Rodriguez
    BPL Member

@mrgonzalo

Hey Don,

Yeah, I totally snagged the Xlite out of some sucker for a pretty good price. Haha

I’m actually pretty happy about it being an oz below spec. That’s always a pleasant surprise.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Yeah, I’m going to miss the light weight but I just want getting good sleep anymore. I went back to a regular and may even get the new q core SLX when it comes out in late summer. #gettingOld ;-)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools