Topic

Seeking Suggestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seeking Suggestion

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

One walking bellie here.  Time to trade in the quilt for a semi rectangular or wide mummy sleeping bag with that new fangeled  water repellent down.  It would be great if anyone would tell me where to go

Thanks,

Paddy

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

It would be great if anyone would tell me where to go

I could but I might be reported as inappropriate.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Sorry Mark.  I thought it was okay to ask for a link to a recommended bag.  Anything that would keep me from worrying about getting down wet at night sounds great.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

My first post was in jest of course, but could I suggest that the sleeping gear is not really where you should concentrate if getting it wet is an issue.  The tent/tarp is what should keep you dry and if it doesn’t then it is that part of your setup that is the problem that needs fixing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hi Kevin,

Perhaps a bit more info would be helpful. Not questioning your desires, just wondering why you want to trade a quilt for a sleeping bag (since the wet issue is a different issue). So why do you want to go from quilts to bags? Knowing this will get you better responses.

As far as the wetness issue, what worries you about getting the bag wet? Since your profile has nothing in it, we don’t know where you backpack, etc. Knowing this will also get you better responses.

But as to a bag with water repellent down, have you thought instead of a bag with synthetic fill? Those are generally considered by many (but not all, including me) to be preferable to down in constant wet/humid weather.

I don’t know what sleeping bag manufacturers use treated down, but Enlightened Equipment uses it for their quilts, some of which would give you almost as much coverage as a sleeping bag.

FWIW.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I’d look at some of the NEMO bags for rectangular or roomy mummy.

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

Nunatak sells customized bags that fit the criteria.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

did not realize they had that fancy new down stuff  Thanks

Glenn O
    BPL Member

@glenno

Locale: GYE

Brooks Range has some wider options and fills with DownTek.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Reached out to Nunatak and they offer the water resistant down as an option.  Overall good feedback with only issue being slight loss in compressibillity.  THanks for taking the time to respond

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools