Topic

Seeking Hiking Partner(s) for the SHR late August/early September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Seeking Hiking Partner(s) for the SHR late August/early September

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe M.
    Spectator

@joemorton85

Locale: Bay Area

I am planning on hiking the SHR this year.  I was thinking late August/Early September but I’m flexible. I am a 35 year old trail builder in the CA Bay Area. I have hiked the in High Sierra every summer for the last 20 years. I have hiked from Sonora Pass to Mt.Whitney via the JMT/PCT. I have been on numerous multi day trips in various parts of the range. A few years ago I started venturing off trail and have learned to love cross country hiking in the High Sierra. I have hiked a few small sections of the SHR cross country through (Bear lakes Basin, Humphrey’s Basin, Dusy Basin, Barrett Lakes, Pallisade Basin. I have also cross country hiked through Darwin Basin. The cross country passes I’ve completed on the SHR so far are :Feather, Knapsack, Pot Luck, Cirque, Carol Col.(puppet pass). Other cross Cross country passes I’ve hiked include: Granite/Bear Pass, Glacier Pass, Sixty Lakes Col, Rae Col, Gardiner Pass, and a few others I may have forgotten.
    I can read Topo maps and can route-find somewhat decently. I layout and design hiking trails professionally so I can read terrain pretty well. I usually use my phone GPS and a Gaia App to aid in general navigation. I have always wanted to hike the SHR and I feel that I have gained enough experience thus far to feel okay giving it a shot. I don’t mind hiking solo (as I have on most all of my cross country trips) but my loved ones would feel far more comfortable knowing I wasn’t alone on the route.  Let me know if this sounds like something you’re interested in and we can start on the planning! Take care

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

If you don’t know of it already, you might want to look at Highsierratopix.com for both people and information: http://www.highsierratopix.com/

Joe M.
    Spectator

@joemorton85

Will do.  Thanks

Greg B
    BPL Member

@stebbens

I have hiked most of the SHR in pieces, including Frozen Lake Pass, Blue Lake Pass, Grouse Lake Pass, White Pass, Feather Pass, White Bear Pass, Puppet Pass, Shout of Relief Pass, Palisades Basin, and Sky Pilot Col. But it would be fun to do the whole thing in one shot. It’s definitely on my list…

Joe M.
    Spectator

@joemorton85

Heads Up, I have found a hiking partner for the trek. Just going to keep it as a 2 person group.  Plan to link the SHR and SoSHR together.  Not sure how to delete this post or I would do so.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools