Topic

Seeking Advice-Best UL Hoodie for Hot Weather?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seeking Advice-Best UL Hoodie for Hot Weather?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Any thoughts on the best hot weather hoodie that is UL, 50 SPF, and fits over a ball cap?  Seeking one for backpacking.  I have a Voormi River Run Hoodie which I love.  Thinking about getting another but wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions first.  Thank you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody II has been my go-to for many seasons now.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^this

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Winser! and Matthew…Thank you both for your advice.  The Tropic Comfort Hoody ll seems exactly what I am looking for except the big logo on the back. At least my pack will cover it.  I ordered one!  Thanks again guys.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Hey Scott, As long as you didn’t order one of the Tropic Comforts that has “Fitz Roy” in its name, there should be no logo on the back. The ones that are just named by their colors only have the small Patagonia name on the chest.

Thirding this option. I’ve used it up to 117*F on a trip in Utah and it was awesome.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Outdoor Research Echo Hoodie or Rab Phase Hoodie?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yep. Greg is correct afaik. The grey, coral and camo versions available currently don’t have a logo on the back. I have three grey ones (from different years) and they don’t have a big logo on the back.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’d also add that I would recommend a light color – it looks like the OR Echo comes in two good choices this year Lead and Pebble.  The Citron might not be bad either.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Duckworth has two hoodies in 130 weight fabric (I think 130 g/m2 = 3.8 oz/yd2); Snorkel Hood and Hoody

I don’t know their product weights, but based on my medium vapor henley (about 175g) and the weight of the comparable 3.7oz fabric tropic comfort hoodie, I’d guess they are in the 200-250g range.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve tried the Echo Hoody…I prefer the Patagonia.  The Patagonia’s hood is more generously sized…I can get it on over a climbing helmet or wear it all day without noticing it.

Look at the difference in hood…I don’t want to wear a hood that snug all day, too stuffy. Whereas the Patagonia, pictured with me bottom, is far more generous and actually gets some air flow.  Yet I’ve never had trouble with it blowing off.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The  Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody II has a UPF of 50+ and the Outdoor Research Echo Hoodie has a UPF of 15

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Cool Daily Hoody is a good recommendation for someone that wants a little bit slimmer cut. It’s not tight like a baselayer but it’s definitely a more conventional cut than the baggy Tropic Comfort. I prefer the cut of the TC in hot weather and it’s longer sleeves with deep thumb holes that help cover your hands. I’m kinda chunky and any string beans out there might prefer the cut of the Daily Hoody. It remember it being the same fabric when I ordered both but that was a while ago so I’m not 100% confident my recollection is correct.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Tropic Comfort II. It’s fantastic. Also, on a budget-the Columbia Terminal Tackle sun hoody can be found less than $30. Both run a tad big.

John Baltzell
    BPL Member

@baltzell

I was going to recommend The Arc’teryx Phasic Hoody, 4.9oz, UPF 50+ which I picked up on sale. It was surprisingly comfortable and durable while backpacking through the Guad’s and Big Bend.  Unfortunately it has been replaced by the Remige Hoody at 5.8oz and in darker colors.  If you fit the outside size ranges it is on sale as a closeout item.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Thank you all for the detailed advice on hoodies.  You are all really helpful!  I did purchase the Patagonia Tropic Comfort II and it fit my requirements exactly!  I am super happy with this hoody and highly recommend it to others.  I had specific requirements and listed them below with a quick review on how this hoodie satisfied them all:

Relaxed fit – I am an XL and this size fit perfectly for me. Also like the length over the hips which is nice with a backpack.

Big Patagonia Fish Logo – I got the Spice Coral color and it did not have the big logo on the backside only a small Patagonia label on the upper chest (thanks Greg).  Happy to not be a walking billboard.

UPF 50 – fit the bill with UPF 50+ protection.  The thumb holes were also an nice surprise for sun protection on the hands.

Hood to fit over a ball cap – baggy hood size works perfectly with my ball cap.  Even stretches over the bill if needed to secure in the wind.

Light Weight – my XL weighed in at 7.3 oz, right in the range I was seeking.

Quick Drying – dries fast in my opinion.

Odor  control – haven’t spent more than one day wearing it without washing yet, but so far no odor.

Comfort – material is very soft and comfortable.

Thanks again for all the advise.  I really appreciate the community on Backpacking Light.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh it will stink after a while but I have yet to find a fabric that doesn’t after a few days. YMMV

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

I like the echo hoody, but that’s only as a cold weather baselayer. I personally wouldn’t wear synthetic in hot weather. It’s only 120-150wt wool or cotton for me.

TrevSco
    BPL Member

@tmoney-2

Big fan of hoodies and use them primarily for winter base layers but they obviously can perform double duty. My faves ATM are Duckworth Snorkel, First Spear Wool Hoodie and Voormi ?? Hoodie. The Duckworth has a zip, which is nice, and snug fitting hood which is good for cold. Material is very comfy. First Spear has “normal” sized hood, no zip, slightly thicker material and is also very comfy. I didnt like the long, monkey paw sleeves however and modded them. The Voormi is best suited for hot and sunny. It has a large hood with button similar to Patagonia pictured above. It is the most “itchy” of the three hoodies though.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Last summer I preferred Rail Riders’ Sun Hoody over the Patagonia hoody.  Lighter weight, more airy, although I was wearing them as a second layer over a t-shirt, rather than a primary layer, and for casual use at the beach, not really exercising in them.  Both were UPF 50, but the Rail Riders was 3 ounces lighter.  Looks like from the specs on the sites that the two are much more similar this season.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would that be the RR Savannah Sun Hoody ?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Yes, or at least last year’s equivalent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

How’s the North Face HyperLayer FlashDry Hoodie?

Anyone try it for extended multi-day trips?

Scott W
    BPL Member

@nscottwilson71gmail-com

If on a budget (like me), Baleaf one off Amazon but haven’t tested it yet.  It’s made in china but I’ve worn the heck out of their sports shirts/shorts and they have held up.  I did go with a M because most of their products run on the small side, but this was actually a lot looser on me than I expected.  At $22 it was a small price to pay if it ends up not lasting more than a season.

100% poly, 199g/7.01 oz.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools