Topic

Seek outside divide shoulder gap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seek outside divide shoulder gap

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Just picked up a divide and im having issues with the shoulder straps

i suspect that the shoulder straps are simply spaced to widely for my body

the outside of the straps flare up and loose contact with the shoulders especially when the load lifters are tightened

ive tried every adjustment i can think of but it may well be the shoulder straps are just spaced too widely for me

compared to my other packs they are at least 1-3″ spaced wider

;)

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

If you could snap a side profile photo and email it to our support at info we can give you some advise.

Thanks

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Kevin will be able to give you solid advice, but even on my wide shoulders the top of new Paradox shoulder straps sit parallel to the ground while my shoulders of course slope downwards, so there is a gap along the outside edge of the straps. That area of the shoulder yoke where it passes over the top of the shoulder should only be making light contact with the top of the shoulder anyway, with the load lifters taking most of the force, so not having them follow the contour of the top of your shoulder precisely is not really an issue. Also, as the padding packs in a little and the material relaxes with use it will slowly mold to your body a bit more. If it actually leads to discomfort, well, that’s another issue.

Cheers

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

thanks kevin … email sent

phillip … thats basically the issue im having …

on every other one of my packs the shoulder straps have good contact (even if lightly) with the shoulders … on the divide the straps mostly rest towards the outer shoulders (nearer the joint) … the sternum strap actually makes the fit worse on me as it accentuates the flare

the problem is that if i need to scramble in the pack, i wont have the needed shoulder mobility i suspect … for load carrying i think itll be fine … but for any type of terrain that gets more challenging, i think the shoulder straps will get in my way

i suspect that if the shoulder harness had a narrower option, or was adjustable in the gap (cut it in half and use 2 straps to vary the gap) it would be fine for me …

the other thing that i suspect would be beneficial a strap or velcro to secure the shoulder harness straight to the frame … without it you really need to use the load lifters aggressively, especially if one is a bit shorter … however i wrapped the straps securing the shoulder harness a few times around the frame before securing them and that made a difference in not needing the load lifters as much, however the shoulder harness was still wide for my shoulders

i think that if i was either taller or had wider shoulders (which are fairly wide for an AZN), it would probably be fine … the weight transfer to the hips are excellent on the divide

;)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

As a follow up i managed to find a way to reduce the width of the shoulder harness for folks with less than broad shoulders

crossing the straps at the top reduced the shoulder gap from ~7″ to 4-5″ roughly

also running the bar through the straps reduce the need for aggressice use of the load lifters

there is still some flaring so its not a perfect solutions, but it works

if one were to cut the shoulder harness in 2 and use 2 straps to reattach em, i think this would solve any shoulder fit issues … As then one can vary the gap and also the tilt of the straps

i may try that in the future

;)

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

Sounds like your harness is too high. This harness is best with the U shape in the middle about 1.5″ to 2″ below the bone in top of your spine. If it’s too high away from shoulders the harness is too high and load lifts too tight.

Once I got this dialed in I’m happy with the harness.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I’m not a big fella at all and I can get the harness fitting well.

Harness

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I can still get load lift Lift

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Brian

the harness height is fine

in fact ive tested the fit +- 3 inches or so in either direction … Didnt matter in terms of the shoulder width

i even used a measuring tape to   confirm the harness height against those packs that fit me perfectly

the issue is that the gap on the shoulder is ~7″ at the apex … In all the other packs that fit me well its around 4-5″ … Thats a pretty significant difference

there is simply no way for a single non adjustable shoulder harness to fit “everyone” well …

as a reference im 5’6″ and usually fit a small/medium in dead bird  and small in patagucci

I suspect that with their hunting pedigree SO packs are perhaps better fiting to folks who are a tad taller and/or larger

interestingly enough sectionhikers review of the divide mentions this shoulder width issue as well … No other review mentions it so i assume those reviewers didnt have any issue

im VERY glad i found a work around for the shoulder gap as this pack transfers the weight to the waist exceptionally well … And it would be a biatch to return from canuckistan

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

There is a female poster on here who replaced the shoulder straps on her seek outside pack with an osprey shoulder harness. I agree that the shoulders straps are super wide.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools