Topic

SEEK OUTSIDE DIVIDE 4500 – REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SEEK OUTSIDE DIVIDE 4500 – REVIEW

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

Quick review on my Divide 4500. A few mods, likes and areas where I think they could improve.

YouTube video

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Hi Nick,

I’ll be very honest, the lumbar price was a calculation error.  We dropped it $10 down to $35 and refunded the difference to all customers who ordered one.

The hipbelt numbing concerns me.  What kind of weight were you carrying?  The numbing is weird…I’ve had it before, but only rarely and for seemingly no reason.  Depending on your body type the pad might help?

We get a lot of requests for bladder ports.  Our thinking is that you have a packbag that with seam sealing can be completely waterproof.  Hang a 3L bladder inside and you’ve introduced a potential source of wet gear.  It’s also not the easiest to create a port that can be waterproofed enough for packrafting, etc.

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Hey Nathan,

I’ve never had the hip numbing from a pack before. I suspect there’s a pressure point somewhere on the front of the belt that does doesn’t agree with the blood flow in my hips. The problem was most noticeable at about 40lbs. I’ve never hiked with a heavier load than that. I considered the lumbar pad, but I just can’t get myself to drop more $.

Nick

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Nick,

Shoot me an email if you get time.  [email protected]

Nathan

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

Thanks for the review!

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

@Nathan – Sure thing. Will do.

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Nick Thanks for your video. I just got a divide myself with the new changes and will put up a review soon as well. I want to get a couple more trips in before I do. I did however echo some of your thoughts already and enjoyed your tips. Its a lot of pack (not cheap though) but it should come with at least one waistbelt pocket for the price imo.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

How well does back actually vent? I’ve got an osprey exos and it’s one of my favorite features but often wish there was a bit less space. I aslo run a bladder and wish there was a better solution

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

The back does vent really well IMO. There’s only one section of padding across the mid-lower back that collects sweat. There’s less material to ‘rub’ and you can pop the load lifters to let the bag drift way off your back for a few minutes to get extra airflow and the hipbelt design works like a pivot. There’s actually less contact points than my traditional packs, but once the fit is dialed in, the ergos are really quite good. Quite a feat for a bag that isn’t resting directly on your back.

S Sarkar
    BPL Member

@rupin

How does it compare with Katabatic Artemis (which I believe you had used earlier) in terms of comfort and load carrying capacity?

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

“How does it compare with Katabatic Artemis (which I believe you had used earlier) in terms of comfort and load carrying capacity?”

Indeed, finding that grail pack is an addiction. :)

The Artemis is a fine pack and I LOVE Katabatic products (my Alsek quilt is still probably my favorite piece of gear) but I’d choose the Divide – no question. You’re taking a decent weight penalty, but there’s absolutely no comparison in load carry or capacity. Without looking at the specs, I’d say the Divide can hold 30% more. For a bag that isn’t directly touching your back, the Divide feels absolutely locked onto your torso and distributes the load really, really well. The ride is darn buttery too, working with you, no against you. Per the video, I did feel a little hip numbing >40lbs, but I’m hoping that can be fixed with the plethora of adjustments (almost too many!). Besides, 40lbs was absolutely a giant load for me and I’ll probably never need to go that heavy again.

As for the Artemis, I wanted to love that pack but ended up returning it in favor or the ULA Circuit (I still have and love the Circuit and OHM2.0). I didn’t feel it transferred weight overly well to the hips and the belt began to sag >25lbs. Also felt like there was too much side-to-side swing weight with that bag… something just didn’t jive for me.

If you’re going to carry a big load, or just want to carry 20-25lbs in blissful comfort, the Divide is your bag.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

I was also super curious about the katabatic packs.  Can’t wait to hear some feedback on the 2017 updates.  We seem to have similar taste in gear, if you get a chance I’d love to hear about the rest of your kit, shelters ect and what sort of trips you’ve been up to recently. What was the 40lbs trip?

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

We seem to have similar taste in gear, if you get a chance I’d love to hear about the rest of your kit, shelters ect and what sort of trips you’ve been up to recently. What was the 40lbs trip?

Ha! I love talking gear, but don’t judge me, I have an addiction. :)

Shelters – Six Moons Lunar Solo, MLD Trailstar, Dutchwear Hammock + Warbonnet Tarp

Packs – Seek Outside Divide, ULA Circuit, ULA OHM2.0, Granite Gear Crown2 (loaner pack)

Insulation – Katabatic Alsek 10d, Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40d, Hammock Gear Incubator (UQ) 20d

Pads – Big Agnes QCore SLX, Exped SynMat UL7

Most trips are here in the Los Padres National Forest (California). The 40lb load consisted of extra gear, camp chair, fly rod, excess water, and plenty of wine + proteins.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>So no more hmg?</p>

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

The HMG is long gone. The hip belt, side and front pockets on that pack are all terrible in my opinion. My fascination for cuban fiber packs (and tents) is gone now too. :)

S Sarkar
    BPL Member

@rupin

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

I just ordered one of these last night.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I’m waiting for SO’s 3,500 ci Gila:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BYGPhA5gzCs/?taken-by=seekoutside

chuck f
    BPL Member

@outthere

I have the first gen of this pack. I really like the way the back pocket closes. In cold weather I will stuff the pocket full to overflowing and use the compression to hold it all in. Getting the shoulder harness dialed in is not for the faint of heart. I use a water bottle holder on the belt and I love it. The pack is so big my normal loads fit inside the pack without stuffing. The ventilation is awesome.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools