Topic

Seek Outside Backpack Frame Modifications (incl. Removable Water Bottle Pockets)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seek Outside Backpack Frame Modifications (incl. Removable Water Bottle Pockets)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

See below

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

<div>I wanted to re-jig my Divide pack, to make it more versatile for different sizes/types of loads.  To that end, last year, I removed my Divide pack bag, and created a MYOG Revolution frame panel and MYOG Talon/Daypack/Mesh Pocket.  But my 2017 frame panel still required that my pack bag have sewn-in bottle pockets, which (for me) limited its flexibility.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>So I made a 2018, Version 2.0 frame panel — with removable water bottle pockets… and I think it will work! The removable pockets are held firmly in place by three attachment points (middle compression strap, velcro tabs, and low strap that connects to the MYOG Talon.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>With this configuration, I should be able to use any type/size of simple dry bag as my “pack”, and still have those great Seek Outside water bottle pockets that I am actually able to reach without dislocating my shoulders.</div>

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

That’s cool. I sewed a Revolution back panel system for hunting using my Unaweep frame and suspension components. I loosely copied the Seek Outside design, but beefed it up in the key spots where my friends’ packs were showing stress and made various changes. The SO frame and suspension lend themselves to customization more than anything out there. It’s a superb platform for DIY.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You could probably do with a much smaller pack if you carried a different pillow… Just sayin’…. :-)

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

<p style=”padding-left: 30px;”>This looks awesome, Valerie. How much does it weigh?</p>

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

@redgum – It weighs 51 oz WITH the extra lumbar pad, but not the pillow (LOL, Doug…). I need to trim some straps, so it could probably get another .5 oz off there.

Not the lightest pack over all (SO doesn’t claim to be), but for those trips where I’ll need heavy stuff (usually water caches in the SW), it should work out well.

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I have a Divide and love it. Most comfortable extra pound I ever carried 😀.</p>

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools