Topic

Second Chance Hiker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Second Chance Hiker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Lots of critics, but I’ve been very inspired watching SCH who’s doing the PCT this year:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4DLytGAdFb-9ArE02HUHeQ/videos

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I’ve only seen a view episodes, but it’s hard to understand why someone would criticize SCH.  Challenges come in all shapes and sizes.  Anyone who is fearless enough to tackle their own, gets my support and admiration.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Everyone admires his spirit, and no-one I’ve seen has been suggesting that he gets off the trail.

But some of us have been urging him to hook up with more experienced hikers locally to help him get up to speed with his skills, as there are some big gaps in his knowledge. And some of his gear is sub-standard and leaving him worryingly cold, so I suggested to him that he set up a Patreon account where we could contribute to an upgrade if funds were an issue.

It’s mid winter and he’s in an area where blizzards are common and water is scarce, so he’s operating pretty close to the limit. We simply want him to stay comfortable and safe.

If he’d put out a request I’m sure he’d have had a response, but he hasn’t been open to our suggestions. We’ll just have to hope that the weather is clement and that he learns fast enough to keep out of trouble.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

Excellent link, Ryan. I hadn’t heard of SCH until now. Very inspiring. It seems as though he’s steadily covering more ground every day and has linked up with a more experienced hiker that’s helping him out. He is seeing some beautiful scenery and having a good, if challenging, time of it. I hope he accomplishes his goals.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Best hiking videos ever!  This guy’s joy and attitude are almost beyond belief.  Watch the Hurricane Ridge episode.  Double-Rainbow-Man has nothing on Second Chance!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Inside a big, active guy is a very strong guy. I’ve hunted with a few big (350-400#) guys here in the Alaska and when they get outdoors for an extended period, not only does their weight drop, but they keep building on their already considerable muscle mass and the miles get easier and easier.

I went back to their Indian reservation in NM one time and while I could hike faster, I couldn’t carry the loads the father or son could (like hauling a 110-pound elk hindquarter uphill).

If I carried a 30-pound pack all the time around town – walking the dog, shopping, day hikes, etc – I’d think I was doing great conditioning for future trips.  This guy has been “training” with an extra 200 pounds on.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Thanks for the link Ryan. This guy is totally inspirational and his enthusiasm is contagious. I hope he can pull this off.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools