Topic

Seatbelt webbing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seatbelt webbing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Does anyone know what type of material seatbelt webbing is made from? It’s softer than the webbing typically used for in backpacks. My GG Kumo has a hipbelt made from this material and I like it a lot as a removable hipbelt that is more robust than a 3/4″ or 1″ belt but not a full padded hipbelt

I think it might be polyester webbing but I see some references to nylon seatbelt webbing online as well. Any thoughts?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also any sources for seatbelt webbing would be appreciated :)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, the old stuff on the first generation Murmur’s and Kumo’s was nylon. There were many reported slipping problems with the buckles they also used. Yes, it was softer and a bit thinner (due to the finer fibers) and stronger. But, it lacked the necessary coefficient of friction to bind solidly in the buckle. It did not take a “set” very well. Was susceptible to about 8-9% expansion/contraction moving from wet to dry weather, and, was overly strong for the application by about 500%. The pack disintegrated before the strap would break. Not really recommended.

You can find it here: http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_Webbing_p/fnw34.htm
    https://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing/nylon-webbing/3-4-inch

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

An auto junkyard?

Daniel T
    BPL Member

@phattony420-2

Dutchware carries seatbelt webbing as well

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Rip Stop By The Roll carries 2″ black seatbelt webbing too… $7 for 25′ section

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m definitely looking for 1.5″ wide.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Strapworks is the only place I can think of if you want 1.5″ seatbelt webbing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools