Topic

Searching for the Light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Searching for the Light

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Searching for the Light

After the year of darkness that was 2020, I needed to walk in the light of the Mojave desert.

Sharon Moore
    BPL Member

@justslm

Thank you for the awesome trip report, and inspiring photos. New York Mountain is a tough climb, and it was the death of one very experienced climber I knew. You were wise to bail. 

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

An amazing journey that I would never have pieced together. Beautiful, expressive writing. And I loved your burrito trails lessons.

I grew up in various parts of the Mojave, running wild through the desert, coming home in time for dinner – mostly. My heart will always be there, even if I live far away in a much different setting. And yes, the light is very special.

Thank you.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Dang automagic spelling manglers. Substitute “burro” for “burrito” above.

— Rex

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Rad trip! Thanks for sharing your words and photos.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks Rex – I think all of us have learned lessons from burritos also

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

When stationed in 29 Palms with the Marine Corps, I did a lot of Mojave hiking, but usually with at least 100 lbs of gear. I’ve always wondered if it would be worth a return to that desert with my current setup and priorities to rewrite my own story in that desert. Thanks for this piece!

Bob Fink
    BPL Member

@bobfink

Great Trip Report Drew !    What a rugged, unforgiving, beautiful landscape where only the most adept survive.  I loved the look the fox gave you as he slank into desert.  Thank you for sharing your challenging route and great experiences.

Max “Yard Sale” Kiel
    BPL Member

@maxkiel

I was drawn to this report by the photos, which are awesome. Being from the East Coast, I have never done any desert hiking/backpacking, and this report gave me a taste of what a desert trip is all about. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools