Topic

Searching for an article

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Searching for an article

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

Sorry if this is not the right place. I remember seeing an article (trip report?) about a trip across Siberia carrying a very heavy pack (90#?). I think it was a case study in how “lightweight” is context-dependent. It intrigued me but I didn’t get around to reading it. Unfortunately I don’t remember anything else about it except an accompanying picture of wide open, somewhat rolling terrain.

I’d like to read it now. However, search as I might, I cannot find it. Can anyone point me to this article?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

JVD – that’s Tully Henke’s trip in Russia: https://backpackinglight.com/packing-light-95-pounds-russia-no-resupply-tully-henke/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It reminds me of the 3 no-resupply trips Demetri Coupounas did sometime around 2011…JMT, CT, LT.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

You can also research Art Brody who did a unsupported FKT of AZT (Arizonal Trail – 800 miles) with a starting weight of 87 lbs pack and averaged 28 miles a day – which is much more substantial than these other hikers where they did lesser. Art seems to have been in his mid 60’s perhaps (never could find his age) when he did this.

You can hike with crazy weights – but, will end up doing 6 to 10 miles per day etc. But this guy did 28 miles average every day!!!!! Shows how amazing our bodies really are.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Tipi Walter, crazy weights, Appalatcian Trail

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Did he do the whole thing? his posture looks great! Are you sure it is not just cotton inside :-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Heavy Thinking with Tipi Walter

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/89891-Heavy-Thinking-with-Tipi-Walter

That thread he created will give you some insight on his thinking.

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

@Ryan Jordan. Yes, that’s the one, Tully Henke’s trip report. Thanks. The others look pretty interesting, too — in a rabbit-holish kind of way. :-)

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

There is a podcast as well that is a bit more in depth.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools