Topic

Seam sealing a tent without access to mineral spirits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Seam sealing a tent without access to mineral spirits

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Locale: SE Asia, Europe

Hello,

My first post here, so I apologize if I did not pick the correct forum.

I need to seam seal a silnylon tent. I have access to the clear silicone sealant. However, I have no access to mineral spirits in the remote region that I call home. Has anyone had success using a different substance to dilute silicone for seam sealing application?

I have heard that lighter fluid might work, but unfortunately, no access to that either. Has anyone got an idea or suggestion?

Cheers,

Niko Z.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain
    Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Yes, it appears that I can source that. Thank you for the suggestion Iago!

Could you please explain how you applied it? Straight from the tube and follow up with a brush?

What do you use to wipe of the extra sealant, or clean the spots where it overflowed on the tent fabric?

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

This is a good video from Tarptent on how to do seam sealing.  They say mineral spirits or white gas.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Permatex Flowable Silicone is the way to go…”straight from the tube”.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Whatever you do, don’t use the fake “green” mineral spirits.  I tried that once, fortunately having the sense to test it first, and it was a disaster.  Would have utterly ruined my tent.  My test patch was still wet more than two weeks later; I doubt it would have ever dried.

Mineral spirits or white gas.  <–

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Vinegar (acetic acid)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Permatex Flowable Silicone is the way to go…”straight from the tube”.”

Agreed. After Ken T. recommended it to me, it’s the only thing I’ve used for a number of years now.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Niko, if using Permatex, you can cut the nozzle that comes with the tube so that the opening is very small, allowing you to put just a little bead along the threads. A small brush (flat artist’s brush) works well to smooth it into the threads and along the seam. If you don’t have a brush you can use your finger. Paper towels for wiping off the excess. You can get really obsessive about this and try to get only silicone in the thread holes, or just put it on and wipe off the excess. Depends on your patience.

With the Mini2, I found that only the apex part needs seam sealing. This worked well enough for two short thunderstorms. For rain forest use maybe you’ll need more.

Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I will get some Permatex Flowable Silicone.

@Stumphges
    , I belong to the more obsessive part of the spectrum when it comes to detailing. :) If I am reading your post correctly, paper towels can be used directly to wipe off the excess Permatex without the need to soak the towels with any diluent first?

@Dan
    Y Interesting suggestion about the vinegar. Are you suggesting using it as a thinner for silicone sealant, as per the original post? Or do you mean it could be used on a paper towel to wipe the excess Permatex only?

Thank you all for your input!

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Nico, yes, paper towels will wipe it right off without any dilutant. One of the nice things about the Permatex is that when I’ve been sloppy and had to wipe off more than I meant to put on in the first place, the area wiped is a bit shiny but actually looks and feels like the surface of a high-quality silnylon, like what Locus Gear or MLD’s silnylons feel like. The texture is like midway between slippery and tacky, or both at the same time, if that makes sense. With other silicone mixtures I’ve used for seam-sealing, wiping off the excess leaves a tacky layer that feels like silicone. Perhaps with Permatex it’s a matter of its flowability or lower viscosity. Don’t know, but it works well, so well that I’d be tempted to use it to re-coat an old silnylon fly. It would be too thick for that purpose, but if one had a good, repeatable way to wipe off the excess, I think the result would be pleasing.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Another nice thing about this stuff is that silicone will cure inside the nozzle when you’re done, but you can then pull it out an re-use the nozzle. The cured plug of silicone that you pull out also illustrates why silicone is such a great coating for tent fabric – it has amazing elasticity.

Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Great, Permatex really is a one-stop solution then.

I have some plastic syringes with bent nozzles, of the type that is used by dentists for irrigation. Do you see any added benefit in using something like that for finer application control? Or does squeezing out of the tube through the provided extension work well enough as it is?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Sorry, just saw this. I think your questions have been answered. Straight off the tube works well enough, just made the hole as small as you can make it.

Since you mention being detail oriented, one technique I will try next time perhaps is creating a V groove on the tip as described on this video around a out 3’20” from the end. Perhaps helpful, perhaps unnecessary. Try on a piece of scrap first.

YouTube video

If you don’t have experience, caulking, perhaps watch hole video.

Niko Z.
    Spectator

@niko-z

Thanks for the video Iago, that was an interesting tip :).

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Iago, that’s a great video! I have a feeling that Niko is going to lay down the ultimate seam seals.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, white gas works, OK. In cold weather (<40F,) I use it. In warmer weather, I use mineral spirits.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools