Topic

Seam sealing a backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seam sealing a backpack

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I just received a Seek Outside XPac X-21 bag.  I was considering seam sealing it but not sure which product will work effectively.  I believe SO recommends SilNet Seam Sealer on their website.

Ripstop By The Roll has a video on YT testing both DCF tape and silicon seam sealer on X-Pac.  They scored a C+ and a C respectively.  Disappointing for all of that work.

I’ve read that some say Gear Aid Seam Grip works better. I also read that Dimension Polyant now makes an X-Pac specific PSA tape.

Has anyone had success seam sealing XPac in general and X-21 specifically and, if so, what did you use?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_NcSSybcU

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Use Seam Grip or Aquaseal FD. The SG is a bit runnier and gets into the seams a little better. Stuff the bag tightly full of pillows and hang it from the ceiling so you can get to all sides easily. Using an application tip is nice since the tube necks on the SG and Aquaseal can be a bit wide and you want to direct the sealant just at the seam and immediately adjacent material. Seam seal the outside of the pack. Sealing the inside is mostly a waste of time due to the seam binding being in the way. Be patient and take your time. Shoe Goo is not a good substitute, but the application tips and tools that come with it are handy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools