Topic

Seam Seal Seek Outside Flight Two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seam Seal Seek Outside Flight Two

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Hey

Just looking for advice and recommendations for seam sealing a Flight Two.

Hope to keep it somewhat aesthetically pleasing while ensuring I get a good seal.

I’ve attached two products I was considering but like I said looking for first hand advice of what works well.

Thanks

Seal Seal

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Ultra 400 UHMWPE and Ultragrid 200d fabrics

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Use the ‘WP’ version. That is a urethane glue and it will produce a more durable seal. See if you can find a narrower tip for the tube like the image below. The stock tip is pretty wide and getting the glue into the stitching is tough. I usually fill my bag with pillows or I roll up a sleeping pad and inflate it inside the backpack to pre-stress the seams that I will be sealing. This makes them easier to get to and you will end up sealing the seams in the state they will be experiencing when the bag is loaded. Hang the bag up so that you can access all sides of it easily. You don’t want to be handling it while the seam sealer cures.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

If the pack is made of Ultra, why not get ultra TNT tape from Rockywoods and tape the seams inside that are not too difficult to tape?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

You really are better off by sealing the pack from the outside. There are not very many seams inside the pack that would benefit from tape. Nothing is flat-felled, and there is seam binding tape (grosgrain ribbon) everywhere. Not very many companies assemble their packs with seam sealing in mind. HMG does. ULA did briefly.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

True.  I forgot that Seek Outside doesn’t use flat seams.

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Locale: Acadia National Park

I know Seek Outside recommends Gear aid seam grip + FC fast cure seam sealant because it is  less messy and it  remains flexible after drying allowing the seem to expand and contract  while still providing a seal .Also it should be a bit more esthetically pleasing leaving less residue on the pack because it is thinner, clear and fairly easy to apply with the brush tip that comes on the bottle.
    Like Phillip said definitely pre-stretch the seams and apply to the outside of the pack , I’d recommend doing it in two steps by completing the lower and mid portion of the pack first then letting it dry before doing the roll top portion. I would also agree with Phillip that the WP version is probably more of a lasting  bond  but the FC should be less messy and easy to reapply down the road if needed without excessive build up on the outside of the pack if you are worried about that sort of thing.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

It’s funny I have been recommended almost every version of gear aid now lol. I wish I could seam tape it but yes it isn’t possible with the way they do their bags. I also am worried about keeping the bag looking nice.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@mullet_hike

Which version of gear aid dries in a way that it’s not tacky? I heard WP stays tacky and people have to use baby powder to lessen it.

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

• The FC dries clear and is not tacky, it also dries in 2 hours compared to 12 with the WP . It will be much easier to work with more easily penetrating the fabric and will be much less noticeable only maybe leaving a slight sheen.The WP is more like glue and will increase the strength of a seem but is much harder to work with ,it will go on thicker , messier and you will see it after it dries. Hope that helps .

Also if you search YouTube Seekoutside has posted some video on this demonstrating how to seal their packs and in the latest one they recommended using FC for reasons stated above.

cheers

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Sorry, not sure how to delete this post, I could only figure out how to edit it . This post is no longer relevant after I remembered I could edit the last post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools