Topic

Seam seal inside of tarptent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seam seal inside of tarptent?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Endthe S
    BPL Member

@endthestate

I just got a new tarptent and seam sealed the outside.  Do I need to disconnect the inner and seam seal the seams on the inside of the tarp as well?

Damon A
    Spectator

@stryker

Sealing the outside seams should be all that’s necessary. Which tent did you get?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I am going to disagree with Damon. Though, I will say it probably won’t leak. But, after a rain storm, they might. It depends on whether you ever let it dry with it staked down. Typically, wet nylon will have stretched about 8-10%. If you tighten the stakes, or, put it up the second night without a complete drying, it will shrink the same 8-10%. Soo, the stress will show up on the weakest areas…usually the seams and hems. This will tend to elongate the holes, resulting in potential leaks.

I would recommend doing the inside, also. This will do two things. It will seal ALL threads used in seaming, the upper and lower threads making a complete seam. And, it will strengthen the seams/hems. Hopefully, to be strong enough to resist any elongation and leaks.

I usually do my tent flys/tarps before I ever use them and insure I do the inside and outside of all seams.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Tarptent seals several hundreds of tents each year, they are done on the outside only.

There is a video clip on the TT web page showing how they do it at Nevada City.

I do mine on the inside too because it is quick and easy for me to do , however I never did the underside of tents that needed to be done with Seam Grip including my own (too messy…)

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

To correct (but echo) Franco, we/Tarptent actually seal over a thousand tents a year but, yes, we only seal the outside seams. There are a few exceptions, notably externally reinforced areas where the accessible seam hole is actually on the underside. We alway set the structure up and fully tighten it to stretch the fabric and open seam holes before sealing.

-H

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Outside only for me on 2 different TarpTents and a couple of other silnylon tarps & ‘mids with no problems whatsoever. I’ve always setup the shelter drum tight when doing so.

Endthe S
    BPL Member

@endthestate

What about the inner mesh or inner solid layers, should I seam seal around the tub to protect against wind blown rain and surface water?

Endthe S
    BPL Member

@endthestate

I bought the Scarp 1.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

No need to seal around the tab .

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Although a couple stripes on the floor is nice to keep your pad from sliding around.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

As for striping the floor I found out that a thin layer is better because a thick one can peel off. Same for seam sealing where most of the silicone should sink into the seams .

Endthe S
    BPL Member

@endthestate

I agree and would also add that the ratio of silicone to mineral spirits should be ~3:1 in favor of mineral spirits.  Several youtubers recommended 1:1, this is way to thick.  I will only seam seal the fly then and not the tub on the inner.

Thanks everyone.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

maybe even 10:1 mineral spirits:silicone

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

And to echo Henry – we ‘seam seal’ the stitching on the tent pole tabs sewn under the groundsheet – as much to protect the sewing thread as to seal the sewing.

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools