Topic

SealSkinz gloves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SealSkinz gloves

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Does anybody have any experience with this company? Past or present. In particular, their Waterproof All Weather Lightweight Glove with the Fusion Control. [LINK]

Currently I’m using Black Diamonds Polartec Power Stretch Pros for moderate 3 season use when it gets a bit colder and damp. I’m satisfied with them mostly and in a light drizzle they’re fine. But as soon as they get soaking wet from any real rainfall, they’re mostly useless. Are SealSkinz worth the advertising or are they hype?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

They’re pretty nice gloves (quality and water-resistance). I have a pair I use for cold-weather fishing, when I have to submerge my hands in water frequently and don’t have to take off the gloves very often. For hiking, I’m not a fan. When they get wet inside, they are terrible to take on and off, which is something I find myself doing a lot while hiking.

For hiking in cold wet weather, I prefer a simpler (and lighter/faster-drying) system like a power stretch glove (dries fast) and some waterproof mitten shells.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

When you say, “get’s wet on the inside” are you referring to when taking them on and off and the rain finds it’s way in? Or do they eventually wet through? Does the wet inside create a suction effect that makes them hard to pull off? I’ve had a pair of North Face gloves that did this. I have been considering mitten shells and probably will just end up getting a pair. I just like the idea of simplicity with just one type of glove needed. Any thoughts on a one glove type system? Brands or otherwise

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Yeah, I should have clarified that.

Not from sweat.

Usually from wet hands – in which case they’re difficult to pull on AND off.

I have a pair of Arc’teryx goretex shell gloves with pile linings that I use in the winter, and they are terrific, but no longer made (I’m sure they make something similar but I haven’t researched their gloves in a bit). They’ve lasted 7 years so far and they are my favorite glove for wet hands. So any pile-lined glove may be ok.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Still have the one old pair I bought to try out.  In the rain, hands got soaked and stayed soaked.  Moved on to much better gloves to use in bad weather.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Sam are they the waterproof version or water resistant version they offer? They appear to have a solid lifetime warranty on their claims. Did that not pan out when yours failed? Was it just the face fabric that got soaked or were they soaked through the 3 layer and membrane? What do you consider to be a much better glove for consistent un-relentless rainfall and chilly weather. I prefer light, easily packable, hold warmth in. And of course be waterproof. Or in the least be water resistant. Right now I’m looking for waterproof because I’m tired of having wet cold hands

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

After trying and discarding too many “waterproof, warm” gloves to count…Mountain Hardware, OR, SealSkinz, Marmot, etc., etc. … I finally got smart and realized that hand wear is exactly like the rest of your outdoor clothing system.  It is a system.

Warm: choose the wool/fleece/whatever liner glove you like.  I like the OR PL series of gloves (the PL150 in particular) because they are warm, maintain a fair amount of dexterity and dry quickly if they do get wet.

Waterproof: add a thin overmitt.  Easy and quick to don/doff over your liners.  No lining to soak up water.  Minimal seams to seal or leak.  Dries quickly.  The REI Minimalist GTX mitts are relatively inexpensive and well regarded…easy to return if you don’t like them.  Not the lightest option, but lots of UL options from cottage manufacturers if gram shaving is your goal.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Ryan/JCH: Yeah, makes sense. My whole worn hiking system is based off a layering technique, so why would my gloves be any different. Since I haven’t tried that yet I’ll test out an outer shell for my liners. If that doesn’t work for me, I’ll revisit the Sealskinz

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I do a lot of ice climbing in the winter, so it’s important to me to keep my hands warm and dextrous (screaming barfies are the worst!). Years ago, an old timer in Ouray turned me on to using disposable nitrile gloves as a “base layer” for my gloves. It works great! Waterproof, windproof, and act as a great vapor barrier. Your hands will get wet from perspiration, but the vapor barrier effect and body warmth keeps them warm. I have a quiver of gloves I use alongside the nitrile liners, but you wouldn’t need that for general backpacking use. The Outdoor Research PL400 mitts or gloves would be a good option. They’ll get wet for sure, but fleece insulates well when wet, and you can wring them out good every night and dry them in your sleeping bag. An old climber expression comes to mind: “embrace the suck.” You’ll get wet no matter what you do (you have a HUGE hole in any glove where your hand goes in). The trick is to manage the wetness and stay warm. HTH.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

They’ll get wet for sure, but fleece insulates well when wet, and you can wring them out good every night and dry them in your sleeping bag.

Yeah for sure. This is what I’m currently dealing with and fleece on the hands insulates only so well when soaking wet. Embracing the suck is a macho way to get over what isn’t perfect. And nothing ever will be. Tech does change and I’m always interested in options. I’ve considered the nitrile gloves. There is a brand I use at my work that is 10mil thick, covers past the wrists and is easily removable and re-used multiple times. This, I think will be an option for wet snowy weather as a VB. Otherwise, I think the hard outer shell with mid to lightweight liner option is what I’ll use for moderately cold and soaking wet Spring Summer Fall outings

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Simulacra,

When I bought the Sealskins, they were marketed as waterproof.  But they looked like they were made of divesuit material.  The raim water soaked through completely, as if I were wearing a porous but nonabsorbent  glove, and probably was.  What attracted me was the very flexible material, which made the gloves much more pleasant to wear.

They may have much better products now.  If you can get to a gear store, try blowing though the material.  If you can, water probably can too.  Also look for flexible material (along with a good fit of course) for the obvious reason that they will function much better.

Suggest searching for waterproof gloves on BPL, rather than sticking to one brand.  You will probably find a thread where the posts evaluate how waterproof different brands are.  And you’l have the benefit of access to experiences of more users.  A bit more work, though.

P.S.  Was hiking in early winter/late fall, when the temp was often below freezing.  Was laying out, clearing and marking a trail, a lot of physical work, and a lot of contact with tools. tree limbs. branches and brush.  In other words, wanted something to protect my hands.  Got caught in a light, but constant freezing rain, you could call it a constant drizzle.  With the water soaking through the gloves, my hands eventually got numb, although the exertion slowed it down.  Was afraid the hands would freeze.  Did not get frostbite, but got plenty frosted with the Sealskinz gloves.

With the developments in waterproof breathable materials that are flexible; nowadays, you might be able to find what you are looking for.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I’ve used the nitrile gloves for several years.   They work for me on the way up the mountain when I’m exerting to a certain level but my hands will get cold with lower exertion levels.    I’ve used them inside of fleece gloves too but without a shell, they become fairly worthless inside wet fleece gloves.   You may as well just leave them off.

I bought a pair of the Showa 262s that Andrew has written about and they suck for dexterity but they certainly level-up for warmth and usefulness in the slop.    For snow travel, they would make a ton of sense and they didn’t get anything more than slightly damp on a 2000ft climb at high exertion in the cold rain.    I’m not sure what their longevity will be but they performed well enough to get used this winter and I’ll find out.   They certainly won’t set any fashion standards.   They look like something you would wear in a fish processing plant, which I think is exactly what they were designed for.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

I’ve used Nitrile gloves quite a bit, including the 262’s. I like them for short-term work in sloppy conditions.

But as a practical backpacking glove, they just aren’t very comfortable for me in true winter conditions. I’ve had far better luck with pile and gore-tex (separable layers so you can dry the pile at night).

I’m with you, the dexterity of the 262’s make them a frustrating experiment for me.

Price is right, though, if you need *something* and are on a budget.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

I’ve heard talk about the 262’s and you’re right, no fashion winning contest there. Price isn’t necessarily an object, as I’m really just trying to dial in something that will work properly for me. So if it does, I’ll happily pay few or more dollars if necessary. I have mostly adopted and dialed in a fairly good modular layering system for the rest of my worn 3 season gear. I’ve realized that my hand wear needs work though.  All good points given here and helpful.

I’m looking at the MLD mitts and am borderline on size Med-Large. I hate to have excessive rollover on the fingertips and am trying to get it to where my fingertips, with the polartec liner, is just touching the shell. what’s your experience with these mitts? do they run large, small?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools