Topic

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Travel Day Pack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Travel Day Pack Review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Companion forum thread to: Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Travel Day Pack Review

The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Travel Day Pack (MSRP: $29.95, 1 oz / 30g) is an 18 L summiting daypack that can be compressed to the size of an egg and tucked into a multiday pack for peak-bagging on longer trips.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a packable day pack that packs that tiny. Opens up some interesting options for basecamping.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have one in the earlier fabric, but have not even used it ; ). For backpack summits I usually reach for the rei flash 18 because of its sternum strap and hip belt.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I liked everything about the UltraSil Nano except the shoulder straps.  Just a flat, unpadded piece of silnylon that immediately folds and bunches and becomes a thin rope that cuts into your shoulders.

Admittedly, any padding in the straps would ruin the ability to pack as small, but as I find the pack unusable as is, I’d gladly trade for a slightly large compressed size.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I mostly fixed the bunching should strap issue with a minimalist sternum strap I added. The pack absolutely needs this mod.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I tried the Ultra Sil, and didn’t like it for the reasons mentioned.  I found this pack:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M

U9E1BB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_f abc_ZWQ3412MEGK9ZFEZ60B7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>to be more usable, if heavier, and easier to pack in other luggage than the REI Flash 18. I’m using this as a day pack on trips where I am traveling for business, but sneaking in a day hike on local trails.</p>

Jon McConachie
    BPL Member

@c-137

Locale: Sierra Nevada

The 20L Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Travel Day Pack (no “nano”) at less than 3 oz is $10 more and is reported to be more comfortable with larger shoulder straps and fit larger humans better. Slightly heaver material as well.

Have not tried one yet.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I was asked to post pics of my sternum strap mod. It uses a camera strap buckle and pulls on the inside edges of the shoulder straps, pulling them flatter and wider. It’s non-adjustable so I sized it before sewing on.

Stephan S
    BPL Member

@nordehiker

Nicely done, great info, thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools