Topic

Sea to Sea trans-San Diego County – Anybody have a route?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sea to Sea trans-San Diego County – Anybody have a route?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Does anyone have a route file for Google Earth or Gaia GPS they would be willing to send me?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Woops, second post so I can get follow-up replies.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Piper,

This info is dated 2010, there has to be something a little more current/digital somewhere.

https://www.postholer.com/journal/San-Diego-Sea-to-Sea-Trail/2010/buck30/827

Looks like a nice walk!

Steofan M.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I guess “paper” maps is a start. I was hoping to find a kml file or similar, but maybe I could make one out of these jpegs.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Okay, so another question: How much of this trail is safe to hike as a solo woman? By safe, I mean I find mountain lions and bears to be safe and I find city-dwelling or homeless human men to be unsafe.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Hi Piper. A bit late with my reply. I’ve done the first half of this trail, before it gets bushwacky and more urban: from ~Salton Sea to Lake Cuyamaca. There are tracks, info, and lots of kind people on the Facebook group “San Diego Trans-County Trail.” I have at least one CalTopo map, but it somewhat messy–let me know if you still want it if you don’t find what you’re looking for! There are a couple of nice alternatives in the desert, so feel free to ask in both the FB group and pick my brain if you’d like. I’ve spent lots of time in/mapping Anza Borrego.

I can’t comment on safety as a solo female traveler beyond Lake Cuyamaca–I’ve heard of general land-ownership spats that seemed unsettling, but folks in the FB group could answer it better. The desert to Lake Cuyamaca was just fine.

Happy trails (when it’s clear to get back on them)!

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I have wandered that general area and been on short sections of the trail. I really doubt you’d find any homeless people on that route even in the suburban/urban areas. In the more backcountry areas, it is far too hot to live there.

The route starts at Torrey Pines and runs to Carmel Valley. Those are very expensive areas to live in. You’re more likely to be yelled at by rich people. The area around El Cajon will be pretty deserted and the ascent up to the mountain is ridiculously brushy. The brush in SoCal is covered with thorns. Even the soft-looking plants are thorny. I wound consider gaiters.

Cuyamaca Rancho park is also near a very wealthy area along the lake. It’s a really neat and infrequently traveled area. If you have time, a visit to Stonewall Peak is worth it. At certain angles, it looks like class IV, but it’s really class II.

I can see a few problems:

1) Heat: don’t take this lightly. It can get really hot. As in, they close down El Cajon mountain due to too many rescues during parts of the year. If you go in the warmer season, bring an umbrella and gatorade.

2) Rain: if the spring, it can rain. It can get cold. It can get windy. I nearly got hypothermia once in the desert. I had a jacket but no rain pants or rain shells for my hands. I was so could that I couldn’t unzip my jacket. I would bring full body rain gear: jacket, rain pants, rain mitts. Also, an umbrella.

3) Water: Unless you’re in a park, I wouldn’t rely on water sources. “Year-round” water sources often don’t exist year-round.

4) Route finding: good idea on trying to get a GPS track. There are so many washes and canyons that it’s so easy to get lost and go up the wrong canyon 50 feet away. That being said, GPS is probably not enough. At times, you’re probably going to want USGS maps and a fair amount of skill to interpret them with a compass. Since there’s no tree coverage, you can always scramble up to a high point and get your bearings, but often there’s no obvious route up. Budget extra time for this. You can waste hours wandering around trying to figure out where you are.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools