Topic

Scotland in September!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Scotland in September!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I need a little help from our UK brethren.  My boyfriend and I are going to be in Glasgow in September, and aside from the veterinary medical conference I’m attending, we will be spending about 2 weeks there.  We are also going up to Glen Coe.  I’m hesitant about either of us driving on the British roads, and plan to use public transportation as much as possible.  I absolutely must go on at least a day hike while I’m there.  Any suggestions on places/routes that are easily accessible for the vehicle challenged?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

You are fortunate. If you look at the map of the railway line in the West Highlands north from Glasgow to Fort William and on to Mallaig, you will se there are various stations to get off at. Some are remote such as Corrour.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

There are bus services too.

E. G. If you got the train to Fort William and walked in the area, and stayed overnight, You could get a bus from Fort William to Glen Coe.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

A reading suggestion: Nan Shepard: The Living Mountain

Oh and PS: You can easily get to Ben Nevis from Fort William, It practically towers over the town and the trailhead and visitor’s center is just over a mile and a half from the train station. Walk back off-trail down off the south side to get away from any crowds….it the weather’s tolerable. It gets steep in parts. Maybe there are other nearby spots and trails not as popular.I don’t know and it was a long time ago I walked up that one. I guess it gets climbed a lot since it’s the highest Munro in Scotland (or is Ben the proper term?)  There’s some sort of train going to Kincraig and Aviemore. There ought to be a way to get from one of those into the Cairngorms. I’ve got to go back!

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

The Cairngorm rail line is different to the Fort William one and only meet at Glasgow. But there are Buses from Inverness to Fort William to join up if necessary (along Loch Ness/The Great Glen)

If you wanted to do overnighter or day walks in various places, the Highland Rail (and bus) pass is an economical way of travelling as you can use both Highland rail lines.

The pass gives you four days of unlimited travel over eight consecutive days across the Highlands for £95.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/highland-rover

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That rail pass is an awesome suggestion, looks like that will be the way to manage. I did a smidgen of poking around on the Visit Scotland site, looks like there’s plenty to choose for walking around Glen Coe itself. Now the challenge is to find stuff of interest to my boyfriend.  He’s interested in music, motorcycles, and beer (whiskey not so much). An unleavened diet of historical venues and outdoor walking  will not be to his taste.</p>
    Specific hike suggestions and touristy sites still gleefully accepted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools