Topic

scenario based synthetic insulated compression question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) scenario based synthetic insulated compression question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

question if I can?  I have several Climashield Apex pieces I carry with me big game hunting- an Apex jacket, Apex pants and a Apex quilt (w/ a poncho hole).  The jacket generally gets used every trip out, the pants less so and only in bitter cold (or an emergency) will the quilt be used.

my question, these are all put into stuff sacks and into my pack; I will often hunt 3-5 day stretches- not backpacking (although will sometimes), but day trips (albeit long ones)- am I better off leaving everything in their stuff sacks for 3-5 days vs pulling them out every night and repacking them every morning.

obviously from a convenience standpoint, leaving them in saves me time in the morning, but the more pressing concern is degrading loft

sooooo- occasional stuffing (but leaving it compressed for several days) vs frequent stuffing?

thanks in advance

Mike

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

It’s always been my understanding that it is the number of compression cycles that degrades the APEX insulation, after all the factory transports the stuff vacuum packed, so my best guess is that it is OK to leave it in the stuff sack. This is what I did anyway with my “Oh Sh*t” pieces

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that was my thought, but I figure better ask to make sure :)

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I agree.  And even if it were marginally better to fluff and repack, which I don’t believe it is, no way would I bother with all that repacking on a trip of a few days.  My time is worth more than that.  :-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ yeah I think I’ll continue as I have been :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools