Topic

Sawyer Sqeeze gaskets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer Sqeeze gaskets

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Scott B
    BPL Member

@linus

This must be a common problem…

if you lose your gasket, what type, specs do you replace it with? .,,probably good to have a couple in the repair kit

thanks!!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

hose washer from hardware store?

I briefly tried one just now, seems like the right size.  Try it and see if water leaks around it.

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

I asked the folks at Sawyer about this and they just sent me two, along with warning me about damaging the gasket by over tightening.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I reached out to Sawyer last year asking about replacements. They sent me this and said any rubber washer of this size would work.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    David R
    BPL Member

@gnosis

I would look for one that is “food grade” or FDA approved for food use.  The garden hose varietals may contain lead and other contaminants.  Look for something used in kitchen sinks or RV water supply.  The risk may be minimal, but who knows?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Hiking around a lot of glaciated mountains, I was worried about sediment in the filter.  I use the mods from this article:

sawyer filter mods

I do carry an extra gasket and an extra filter circle in my repair kit.  I’ve had to replace them once on the trail.

Jay Bruins
    BPL Member

@mountainjay

Thanks for the garden hose suggestion. I dropped my gasket in a river and managed to find a hardware store when I resupplied. Worked like a charm.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A small drop of superglue will bond/friction fit the gasket a little tighter, so, it won’t fall out.

Scott B
    BPL Member

@linus

Sawyer could do a lot to make this easier. Like selling replacement gaskets, or at least providing a link to an aftermarket supplier.

I solved this by purchasing a Katadyn BeFree.

(Sawyer, if you’re listening, ….there’s only so much effort that your customers should have to do in order to address this.)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Katadyn could do a lot to make backflushing their BeFree easier, but they chose not to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools