Topic

sawyer mini knock-off filter for 11.95 shipped

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals sawyer mini knock-off filter for 11.95 shipped

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

doesn’t come with the back flush syringe or the water bag, but it screws directly onto most bottles. seems like a perfect copy of the sawyer mini. i’ve never heard of them, but for 11.95, i’ll try one out and compare it to my mini.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

here is a link to the actual product, the versa flow water filter made by hydroblu. the product does come with a bucket adaptor which looks nice for car camping.

http://hydroblu.com/versa-flow-water-filter.html

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Does anyone have any experience with the Hydroblu Versa Flow filter?  I bought one and have used it on one trip.  It is the size of the Sawyer Mini but has better flow rate than the full size Sawyer.  It is “only” good for 20,000 liters instead of 100,000 but so far I really like it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Hydroblu products appear to be made in China.  I believe Sawer manufactures all products in USA.

Also looks like the Versa is now $20, same as the Sawyer Mini.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Very interesting, but I didn’t find any information on either certification of any sort of regulatory approval to backup filtration claims.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

I recently purchased one of these filter and find them impressive. It weighs just over 2.3 oz. dry and 2.5 after filtering. It’s flow rate is exactly the same as the Sawyer Squeeze using a squeeze bag with my testing, but it weighs almost an ounce less. Both input and output ends can be screwed onto Sawyer or Evernew bladders as well as Smart Water bottles so there’s no need for a syringe. They now cost $19.99 without any of the gizmos they used to include. I just wrote to them to find out where they are manufactured and to get some info on their certification process. The company’s headquarters are in Utah.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

a review from last year HydroBlu Versa Flow Review .

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Yes I saw Darwin’s video for the HydroBlu. I don’t know where he got a weight of 1.4 oz. It definitely weighs 2.0 oz. out of the box at least, but I agree this potentially a very nice filter that combines the best features of the Sawyer Squeeze and mini.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

He says he is not bringing it on the PCT because it suffers from the same problem as the mini, the flow rate is not that great especially as time goes on.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Hi @Annapurna. I searched everywhere for Darwin not taking this filter on PCT because it slowed after several field uses but couldn’t find it. Do you have the link? I did find out from HydroBlu that the filter is made in China. They claim regular testing, some independent, to assure the filter meets EPA standards. Although comparisons are made between the Versa Flow and the Sawyer Mini I think the most apt comparison is with the Squeeze as the flow rate with new wetted filters using a squeeze bag is identical. Seems like a cool product potentially if it doesn’t slow down appreciably over time and if it filters out cooties as advertised. For now I think I will stick with the Sawyer Squeeze.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is the video where he says why he is not taking the hydro blue Gear for the PCT – Cook System & Water Storage .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools